_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Question: Tamiya T-34/76 1942
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hey folks,

I've seen some discussion several years ago (then again, this is an old kit) but - can someone point me to a list of corrections that can be done to Tamiya's old T-34 1942 (1/35)? I know about the inaccuracies in the measurements, but what version of the T-34/from is the most closest to it? (I know about the front towing pintles that need to be removed).

Also, how accurate is the option for the applique armor in teh hull front? I've seen photos but does it apply for this tank? Thanks folks.
jrmcdaniel
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 - 05:12 AM UTC
I’m not an expert, but there’s an old forum post on Track-Link in which several guys post their comments and opinions:
https://www.track-link.com/forums/research_ww2/7082/flat

Hope it helps.

Mac
Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 - 05:43 AM UTC
IMHO if you have the kit already, build it & not worry too much about accuracy. it will still look pretty good OOTB. BUT, if you really want an accurate T-34, look elsewhere. I built the Dragon version of the '42 & was quite pleased with it, only replacing the tracks with ModelKasten workables. Another alternative is to wait for Zvezda to do a new tool of the '42. I built the '43 UMTZ kit & was quite impressed with it.

Damon.
DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2020 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

IMHO if you have the kit already, build it & not worry too much about accuracy. BUT, if you really want an accurate T-34, look elsewhere. .

Damon.

Absolutely agree with this. The Tamiya kit is a fun, old, simple kit. Have a great time with it. There's no way to make it accurate at any current definition of "accurate". Still a cool looking vehicle.

Really basic stuff to do, if you must, is to leave off the bow tow hooks you mentioned; replace the tracks if you can do it cheaply (its really not worth throwing any money at this), use *either* the square fuel cells or the cylindrical ones, but not both.

The turret is kinda-sorta based on the Factory 112 turret as far as I can tell, but nothing on the hull corresponds to that factory so.....no point in fussing about it. The bow applique armor is reasonably accurate.

Just have fun with it.
 _GOTOTOP