_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Meng paints vs AK Interactive new acrylics
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 02:15 PM UTC
Hey chaps, just wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to match Meng paints with the new AK Inter. paints...? Its a royal PITA to get a match to the AK paints I have with the colour call-outs on Meng kits. I've tried all over 'ells arf acre to find sumthin but no luck. I did find that they ARE in fact AK paints,
but different numbers... :-(

thehermit
brentwal
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 - 05:33 PM UTC
I assume you want the new 3rd Generation Acrylic paint?

I doubt if there's an easy way, even though AKI makes the Meng branded paints.

I suspect Meng requested the AKI NOT list any conversion for Meng Colors in their charts so you'd be more likely to buy the Meng branded paint.

I see a couple options

1. Buy Meng Colors direct from AKI, but I bet at least a month turn around.

2. Go to the AKI website and cross reference each color you need by name with the meng color name (or download the list of 3rd Gen paints). I just check for middle stone and got results for all 4 paint ranges.

3. Educated guess.

AKI 3rd Gen paint is in the 110XX-111XX Range.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 - 12:51 AM UTC
If you want to add another app to your smartphone or tablet, I would suggest one called Hobby Color Converter. It is updated constantly and gives you equivalencies of all the colors of the brands of hobby paints. I've been using it for three or four years, and use it at the store if someone asks about a substitute for one brand or another. You can find it in your favorite app store at the low, low price of free!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 - 04:04 AM UTC
I was looking at the app when I first saw this post a couple hours ago. The newest AKI line doesn't have equivalencies with MENG.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 - 06:54 AM UTC
Or you could just ignore the kit instructions altogether and base your colour scheme on other evidence. From experience, kit instructions are often not the most reliable data source and if created by a paint manufacturer, it seems possible that the rationale may be to get you to buy more paint.
 _GOTOTOP