_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Trumpeter OPLOT
RobCosta
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 03:47 PM UTC
How are these tracks put together?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 06:01 PM UTC
You can view the instructions here:
https://www.super-hobby.se/products/Ukrainian-T-84BM-Oplot-MBT.html#gallery_start

Indy-link, two parts per link: link molded with end-connectors + the upper part of the guide horn.
Assembled in a jig and then glued solid.

One issue is that the end conenctors are molded together with the links which is perfectly OK for straight sections but it doesn't look good when the track wraps around the sprocket and the idler.
Correcting this requires slicing off the end connectors and the lower part of the guide horn or central connector. Then you need to reassemble the link again.

I have done this for a couple of kits and the easiest way for me was to rebuild those links on the idlers and drive sprockets, using the wheels as guides to get it all straight.

If two track links are angled 20 degrees then the end connectors between them will be angled 10 degrees to the each track link. It divides the angle in two equal parts.
Double pin track on a Leopard AS1, link to full size image and the image itself (reduced size in this post)
http://www.grubbyfingersshop.com/walkaround_galleries/Leopard_AS1_Tank_Walkaround_27747_Jerilderie_2014/content/bin/images/large/Leopard_AS1_Tank_Walkaround_27747_Jeriderie_2014_26_GrubbyFingers.jpg

Image borrowed from GrubbyFingers walkarounds:
http://www.grubby-fingers-aircraft-illustration.com/Walkarounds_AFV_Armour.html

/ Robin
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 06:08 PM UTC
These are individual tracks with a track jig to help with the build.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One issue is that the end conenctors are molded together with the links which is perfectly OK for straight sections but it doesn't look good when the track wraps around the sprocket and the idler.
Correcting this requires slicing off the end connectors and the lower part of the guide horn or central connector. Then you need to reassemble the link again.

I have done this for a couple of kits and the easiest way for me was to rebuild those links on the idlers and drive sprockets, using the wheels as guides to get it all straight.

I usually bend those links applying torque to the end and central connectors. Once you've found the way to grab the pieces between your fingernails, it is easy and quick. It has to be done before gluing the guide horn.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I usually bend those links applying torque to the end and central connectors. Once you've found the way to grab the pieces between your fingernails, it is easy and quick. It has to be done before gluing the guide horn.

It works for some kits and less well for other kits

It depends on how soft or brittle the styrene is.
Test on some other piece of styrene from the kit first.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 - 08:32 AM UTC
I've built both T-64 and T-80B of Trumpeter in this way, I would be surprised to see unexpected problems with the Oplot.
 _GOTOTOP