_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Takom M9 Ace 1:35
Maxymilian
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi
Not a new model, but I have to say that I really did enjoyed building it.
No big problems and all parts of blade are movable, so I can always change display configuration.
Problems occurred with tracks, I must say these were pretty difficult to keep together, specially when I was trying to put them around sprocket wheel.
Painted with Tamiya acrylics, some oil wash and that is it. I haven't really weather it as I am not at that stage yet.
Colour scheme is a bit of my imagination and bit of pictures reference. Wooden pallets are home made and wheels are from M1070.

GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 - 08:07 AM UTC
Looks nice.

You can make the photos show int your post by adding [i mg] at the start and [/i mg] in the end of the address (without the space)
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 - 06:11 PM UTC
Very nice model, but light blue vision blocks spoil the effect somewhat unfortunately. It would look so much more realistic with gloss black vision blocks, maybe with clear green coat to give them a bit of a armor glass tint.

In reality you never see vision block or periscopes like that. From the inside of the vehicle - yes, maybe sometimes, when clear blue sky is visible through them. From the outside - nope. They are typically just very dark, almost black, because what you see through them is a dark interior of the vehicle. Some of the modern tactical vehicles have anti-laser coating on periscopes that causes bright multi-color reflections, but they don't look light blue and I don't think M9 has such coating.

GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 - 01:07 AM UTC
Awesome job, Adam! The M9 ACE was my first Takom kit. I really like the quality.

I like your chipping on it...not overly done. I muddied mine up a little too much; but I was just starting to play with pigments.

Again, very nice work!

Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hi Vodnik
TBH I am not happy with the colour of the visors eitherl, but I have followed the instructions and colour chart as well checked some reference online.
Here is the picture that I have used, I should have probably tried to mask it a bit and make it smaller, but as far as I can see its blue. I will probably try to do something about it later:

Hi Richard
I am only slowly coming back to modeling after 4 year gap and weathering was never my strongest skill TBH, pigments are really tricky to work with.
I agree it is a really good kit, even for beginners.
SWATdoc
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2020 - 02:53 PM UTC
Hello Adam,

You have a very nice build there. Vision blocks can be a fairly subjective topic, at least in my experience. Direct vision vs periscopes, lighting conditions, number of lanes, laser coating, etc.

I think you might find a post on FaceBook from a fellow modeler on how he interprets the vision blocks for his M60 relevant. All of a sudden the correct name of the FaceBook page escapes me, but, it is something along the lines of M26 through M60 history. In fact, Paul K. can probably direct you there.

Respectfully,

Allen.
Maxymilian
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hi
I have loaded Ace reads for transport, chains are from AA, a bit difficult to put together.

_GOTOTOP