_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
German red oxide primer
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 01:52 PM UTC
Does anyone make a red oxide primer that i can either brush or airbrush or has a formula to mix it using AK
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 02:38 PM UTC
Take your pick:

Stynylrez: https://usaairbrushsupply.com/products/stynylrez-primer-red-brown

Mission Models: https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/red-oxide-primer/MML00MMS004/product.php?pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&kw=primer&co=1

Vallejo: https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/acrylic-german-red-brown-primer-ral-8012-60ml/VLJ00073605/product.php?pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&kw=primer&co=1

AK Interactive: https://ak-interactive.com/product/red-primer-60ml/
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 03:02 PM UTC

Im looking to portray on the model where some parts were only painted with primer not to use it as a overall primer
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 03:57 PM UTC
Vallejo 70.982 Cavalry Brown is a match for RAL 3009 Oxidrot

So is Revell Aqua Color 36137 Reddish Brown

Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 05:11 PM UTC

Well, make it realistic, lay down a layer of primer and don't paint over it.

Mission Models Red Oxide German WWII RAL3009 MMP013
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 08:17 PM UTC
In my opinion, to make it realistic you should simply not do it... I have never seen a single photo of a German tank in service with a part not painted.
hugoalejandro
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2020 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In my opinion, to make it realistic you should simply not do it... I have never seen a single photo of a German tank in service with a part not painted.

+1
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The areas in tanks such as the Tiger I, Panther and King Tiger, below the sponsons and turret basket floors, were left in primer.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The areas in tanks such as the Tiger I, Panther and King Tiger, below the sponsons and turret basket floors, were left in primer.

That's interior, though. Although the OP didn't say where he wanted to apply it.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 02:52 AM UTC
That's true; however. Carlos stated that he's never seen a photo of any German tank with a part unpainted.

Interior photos of a KT. Notice the areas below the sponsons.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I wont be doing this to a Panther or Tiger I will be doing this to one of the E Series of standard panzers

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 01:26 AM UTC
Just wondering the backside of the roadwheels,would they be red primer or dunkelgelb or what
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 01:39 AM UTC
Not exactly what you asked but Tamiya has just recently added a really nice shade of matte red oxide surface primer to their extensive line of spray paints; Item #87160-800

I admit it is not quite as "bright red" as the real German oxides I have experienced but it is very satisfying and the quality, coverage and beautiful flat surface can't be beat.

Once I get done adding my pastel shaders to brighten the red, plus dust, grime and oil stains this Takon Bergepanther is going to be a very satisfying build! IMHO

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 01:57 AM UTC
Never thought about the BACK side of the road wheels as being anything other than the main body color. Great idea!

I think this Bergepanther is going to have the backs painted only red oxide.

However knowing the German way of thinking (after all my last name IS Koenig!) they would probably say that given the road wheels are going to be subjected to so much dirt, grime and abuse; they would probably go ahead and shoot the back sides in the main body color.

Finished paint is much more sealing, smoother, more corrosion resistant, protective and somewhat less likely to attract caked up mud that would be the rough surface primer alone.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 02:06 AM UTC
Engine pull on Jagdpanzer IV:

The fact that I had to shoot this with flash makes it very hard to judge the exact shade of the red color.
The first photo is probably the most representative as the light from the flash is the most evenly dispersed.

All Photos Copyright Michael Koenig -- All Rights Reserved
For personal reference use ONLY
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 02:54 AM UTC
More color reference for original German Red Oxide:

Restoration to running condition of Panzer III at the Patton Museum; Ft. Knox, Kentucky

Please note: Interior of side escape hatch painted Panzer Gray and NOT interior white/cream color for lower visibility when open.

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 03:07 AM UTC
I'm just celebrating the return to running condition of the Patton Panzer III with these photos! No red oxide reference here but please indulge me.

Crank start using the inertial starter. Crank the flywheel up to speed, pull a lever and if you are lucky the engine starts. Otherwise you begin the process all over again. It's not an easy task. Two guys really have to put their backs into it!

165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 06:40 AM UTC

Interior control for raising the antenna.

Kitchen/Galley??? No running water??? (Just Kidding)

Gunner's position

View down the Commander's Hatch

Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 06:53 AM UTC
We had a conversation a while back about a bombed out factory that showed road wheels were a lighter color primer than red oxide. Possibly the green color used on new tank cannon barrels.

Does anyone remember that thread?
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 06:15 PM UTC
And so the tank was restored to operational condition... But somehow nobody on the restoration team knew about standard track-orientation on Pz. III and IV... The tracks have been put on "backwards". Most of us Pz. III/IV modelers wouldn't do that!

Bob
StephenB
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2020 - 10:08 PM UTC
I always use Humbrol No. 70 (brick red) but then I'm a bit old school! I can see from these photos that German primer is actually a lot lighter and more orange.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 12:19 PM UTC
Over several years, I have seen perhaps hundreds of fair to good color pictures that show examples of the "Rotoxid" primer generally used by the Germans on armor and much of heavy machinery through to the end of WWII.

The "lesson" I've taken home from the mental composite of these many photos is that there was no more of an absolute common color standard "realized" for that primer than there was for Dunkelgelb. Batches and manufacturers likely differed in hue, and the appearance of samples photographed under various lighting conditions reflect the spectral qualities of the available light, age and type of film used, etc. etc. etc. Even, as should be evident to viewers here, the several examples of "rotoxid" in the posted photos exhibit variation in color. Roll all this posted variation together with the fact that the majority of male humans exhibit some amount of "red spectrum color-blindness", so what one of us guys sees may be some - maybe a LOT - different from what someone else sees. Fighting about which is "right" seems pretty trivial - even pointless - to me.

So, bottom line: "What IS the "correct" color of German WWII "Rotoxid" primer? There is NO one correct answer. I don't sweat this nebulosity... I use some red which looks reasonably like some examples that I have on my computer. I'm about to start a Bergepanther w/ interior build... Likely I'll actually use a couple different red shades to capture some possible variation among parts and panels - much like seen in the posted Pz. III pics in this thread. And if some model "experten" or show judge comes up and tries to tell me that my color choice is "wrong" or "off"... I'll be exceedingly polite and firmly tell that worthy to "shove off"!
 _GOTOTOP