_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Question on Panzerfaust/Panzerschreck
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 12:59 PM UTC
I always wondered how the warhead of the Panzerfaust 60 got detonated. There is no visible fuze. I found this pic of a Panzerschreck.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Panzerfaust?uselang=de#/media/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-107-13,_Volkssturm,_%C3%9Cbung_mit_Panzerschreck.jpg

Inscription said that it`s a Beutepanzer, but I am not familiar with the model.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 01:18 PM UTC
The fuse was in the tail of the projectile. I presume that the impact of the projectile into the target would cause the fuse to detonate the main hollow charge.

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 08:13 PM UTC
Thanks!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 10:33 PM UTC
I guess the tank in the background is one of the "Grosstraktor" prototypes :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosstraktor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvcs4kliVRg

H.P.
jps
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 01:51 AM UTC
While on the subject of panzerfausts is there a minimum distance you would have to be from the target? Thanks. Dave
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 02:40 AM UTC
Ummm...not trying to sound confrontational, but how is the Grosstraktor relevant to Panzerfaust/Panzerschreck? Did I miss something?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 02:46 AM UTC
Was the Panzerfaust exclusively a one-shot disposable weapon, or could it be reloaded in the field?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ummm...not trying to sound confrontational, but how is the Grosstraktor relevant to Panzerfaust/Panzerschreck? Did I miss something?

It's in the background of the pic the OP linked to.
Bravo36
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 04:14 AM UTC
Single shot. Check Wikipedia.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was refering to this part of H.H's post :

Inscription said that it`s a Beutepanzer, but I am not familiar with the model.

H.P.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While on the subject of panzerfausts is there a minimum distance you would have to be from the target? Thanks. Dave

A SWAG says no minimal distance for use regarding arming. The projectile was not spin stabilized, so that method of arming the fuse is out. The placement of the impact fuse directly ahead of the launch charge means the launch charge most likely armed the fuse upon firing. The only real minimal distance concern for the gunner would be to have some distance away from the target to avoid the impact detonation. But with only a 30M range on the early type that is not much margin for such consideration. And any catastrophic detonation of the target vehicle such as ammo racks will put a 30M range well inside a danger close zone.
Paska
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 06:15 AM UTC
According to page 32 of Wolgang Fleischer's Panzerfaust, "The head of the Panzerfaust became live about three meters after firing".
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Was the Panzerfaust exclusively a one-shot disposable weapon, or could it be reloaded in the field?

There was a meter-long flame on the back side. Hence the inscription " Vorsicht Feuerstrahl". One would hardly reload a hot metal tube. One could definitly NOT fire it from a closed room, except he has a suicidal attitude.
LikesTanks
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 242 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Apparently it was used for training the Volkssturm in 1944, so presumably it's not just in the background, but actively the target.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There was a meter-long flame on the back side. Hence the inscription " Vorsicht Feuerstrahl". One would hardly reload a hot metal tube. One could definitly NOT fire it from a closed room, except he has a suicidal attitude.

That’s the backblast from the launching charge. It’s very common in man portable anti tank weapons such as rocket launchers, RPGs, and recoilless rifles. Most of those are usually reloadable after a shot. Only a few types such as the M72 LAW and AT-4 follow the footsteps of the Panzerfaust and are single shot disposable launch tubes.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2020 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

According to page 32 of Wolgang Fleischer's Panzerfaust, "The head of the Panzerfaust became live about three meters after firing".

Many, many years ago I read an autobiography by a Special Forces sergeant in Nam (questionable - he was really full of himself!) who claimed in one night operation in an attack on a village a VC popped out of a hut and fired an RPG round at him. It was at near-point blank range and failed to explode because it didn't arm itself. The sergeant survived with only a bruised chest. The VC got away - that time!
 _GOTOTOP