_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tamiya T-62
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 07:17 AM UTC
From a pile of AM and one lonely Tamiya T-62 and bits of another kit that I've had in the stash for years. I actually started this thing over five years ago and got bored, put it aside and then decided to just FINISH it. After having bought a two pound box of accessories and AM stuff for a relative song right after the Trump T-62 kits hit the market, I realized it would look better painted up than it would unpainted on my shelf of shame. As it sat, more or less, in its place of obscurity for at least five years:
IMG_3091 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_3090 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
And now, finished and ready to be compared to the Trump T-62 I'm currently building:
IMG_3775 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_3776 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_3777 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
No, it's not accurate, but it was fun after I decided to go ahead and finish it.
Included in the parts used are Friuls, the Verlinden "update" kit with a lot of PE, Eduard PE and a bunch of MrSurfacer 500. Base coat is Vallejo spray can Russian green (really good stuff) and Vallejo sand and gray brush painted with a MIG desert sand pigment finish, sealed with Vallejo flat, also in their spray can. With the Friuls and all the Varlinden resin, this is the heaviest model in my case.

stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 09:52 AM UTC
I’ve seen this somewhere before...
I’m happy to see that you finished it and took some proper photos of the completed build. It sure looks better than what comes in the box.
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 06:09 PM UTC
I was about to say the same thing, Carlos!

DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 - 11:00 PM UTC
Fantastic work on a real old dog of a kit. Looks great.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 02:42 AM UTC
T'anks y'all! Yup, I'm on a couple of other modelling sites, gotta stay connected doncha know.
I may me odd, but I still get a kick out of working with with old dogs, takes me back to when these kind of kits were all there was and I made do or made parts.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 01:42 PM UTC
Excellent work mate. I love all the upgrades you've made for the kit.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[...]
I may me odd, but I still get a kick out of working with with old dogs, takes me back to when these kind of kits were all there was and I made do or made parts.

I totally get you on that one!

Quite some work you thrust in there and well worth the effort! Thanks for sharing.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

T'anks y'all! Yup, I'm on a couple of other modelling sites, gotta stay connected doncha know.

I’m with you there on the older kits. I suppose that I'm something of a heretic on here, but I’m perfectly fine with an older kit, and modifying it as I feel it may need as opposed to a new tool high parts count kit of the same subject.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 06:36 AM UTC
Thanks y'all. I'm probably torn between "modern" kits and the old stuff, and I guess if i think about it, I spend as least as much time on the old stuff as a newer kit with a high parts count, but I enjoy making something out of nothing more than assembling a a new kit. I've always been a little odd that way. Not that I'm "against" the new stuff at all: I really enjoy building Takom's M60 kits, and have built one AFV Club M60, but I prefer the Takom approach, just adding a few small things. I'm in the middle of two kits now: the Tamiya Challenger 1 (original issue) with a bunch of PE and a trump T-62 with minimal PE, both with Friuls, and having fun with both. Hmmm.....
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 07:06 AM UTC
I find it oddly satisfying working and correcting older kits, especially adding missing details. Addinf aftermarket stuff or scratchbuilt ones after checking and crosschecking references.

An excellent build of this kit, you cannot correct everything (like Tamiya and Academy m60 kits suspenion), but the end result is really nice
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 04:31 AM UTC
Thanks! And I agree, I too get a lot of enjoyment from massaging the old stuff.
metalhead85
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 06:23 AM UTC
Russel you did a great job on a very old kit. I still have several of the old Tamiya kits, including the T62 with a few update sets and plan on building them at some point despite their age and inaccuracy.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 09:06 AM UTC
Thanks. Even though it's an old kit, it's still modeling.
 _GOTOTOP