Hosted by Darren Baker
My FWD Has Arrived
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 10:02 AM UTC
My kit came in today, and I did ask about British use of the FWD truck in World War One. I cannot find that thread now, but I remember people saying that the British ordered the truck chassis and added their own bodies. But the kit itself shows the truck with a wooden cargo bed. Factory installed, or added on like the ambulance bodies were for Model T ambulances?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My kit came in today, and I did ask about British use of the FWD truck in World War One. I cannot find that thread now, but I remember people saying that the British ordered the truck chassis and added their own bodies. But the kit itself shows the truck with a wooden cargo bed. Factory installed, or added on like the ambulance bodies were for Model T ambulances?

Here are two pretty good, albeit abbreviated rundowns of the FWD, which explains the bodies. It came in two versions, the metal ammunition version or the wooden cargo version, both apparently factory installed in the US version, but the British added their own bodies. Wood was apparently used in early versions beginning in 1912 in the US version, later metal in the US version. Hopefully, a metal bodied kit version will follow. But, looking at the photos in the article, it’s apparent both were used to tow artillery:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FWD_Model_B

And from “Lanships II:

http://www.landships.info/landships/softskin_articles.html?load=/landships/softskin_articles/FWD_Model_B.html

VR, Russ
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 11:35 AM UTC
There were a number of specialized bodies made: Ammunition Supply, Artillery Supply (with six different load-outs and storage arrangements), and Artillery Repair.

KL
 _GOTOTOP