_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng M2A3 Sprue U
Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hello everyone!! I have a question on the Meng M2A3. There are to U sprues for the periscopes....1 clear, and 1 tinted green(bullet proof glass)?

Which one should I use? Does it not matter? They also contain the glass for the commanders protection system in which the green tinted makes more sense.

Which ones do I use?

Thank you,
Eric
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC
The clear ones look more realistic to me, but either will do.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2020 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello everyone!! I have a question on the Meng M2A3. There are to U sprues for the periscopes....1 clear, and 1 tinted green(bullet proof glass)?

Which one should I use? Does it not matter? They also contain the glass for the commanders protection system in which the green tinted makes more sense.

Which ones do I use?

Thank you,
Eric

actually it doesnt really matter because all vision blocks on the M2 and M1 abrams have a anti laser coating on them
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

actually it doesnt really matter because all vision blocks on the M2 and M1 abrams have a anti laser coating on them

You are correct. I was referring to the glass for the armored surround around the BC. The rest of the optics I paint over with flat black, then a couple coats of clear red, and a couple coats of clear gloss to represent the anti-laser coated optics. The Gunner's primary sight should have one side purple/blue and the other a yellow/gold color for day and night sights too.

Floridabucco
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 08:59 AM UTC
Hello fellow Floridian,

I see you said you paint all the vision blocks flat black first, then clear red. How many coats of the clear red does it take to show up on against the black?

The gunners sight paint one side clear blue, and the other side clear yellow?

What about the commanders defense position glass, leave it the green tinted glass?

Just trying to make sure I have your method correct.

Thank you,
Eric
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 01:38 PM UTC
It only takes a couple coats of the clear red over the black. I personally like the clear for the armored glass around the BC's position, but that's just me.
 _GOTOTOP