_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Box artwork has really been improving lately
DickJones
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 09:33 PM UTC
Is it just me or has box art for AFVs been improving a lot lately? Specifically stuff from TAKOM or MINIART.

Examples:

Not to be a pedant, but I've always felt one of the worst trends in AFV models were some of the hand-drawn box art. Nowadays the likes of Takom seems to be using possible CGI renderings, where proportional errors seem to be gone. The lighting also seems to be superior.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 11:10 PM UTC
Maybe,but I don't care at all what's on the box as opposed whats in the box.It has never factored into me buying a kit except maybe when I was 8
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 - 01:23 AM UTC
I'll second Anthony's comment. For me, the box art is deceptive for two reasons: 1) there have been a number of instances by various companies where what's shown ON the box, isn't what's IN the box; and 2) box art seems to imply that yes, you too, can build this cool-looking model when actual results depend on the individual builder's skill level.
GregCopplin
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 - 02:25 AM UTC
I love the new box art. It’s better then a tank on a white background. Sometimes they paint good scenes and it gives me ideas for future dioramas. Also if i remember correctly, DML used to paint future releases on their box art but that may be a myth.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe,but I don't care at all what's on the box as opposed whats in the box.It has never factored into me buying a kit except maybe when I was 8

Box art doesnt mean anything to me contents are what matters
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll second Anthony's comment. For me, the box art is deceptive for two reasons: 1) there have been a number of instances by various companies where what's shown ON the box, isn't what's IN the box; and 2) box art seems to imply that yes, you too, can build this cool-looking model when actual results depend on the individual builder's skill level.

I bought Zevzda's T90MS on ther box art it showed the usual round headlight and when i went to start the build it had the square LED headlight

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 - 04:26 AM UTC
Box art is dramatic, but a model photo is much more representative of the contents. Although I have noted Trumpeter cheating by using pictures of a 1/35 tank on the box cover of a 1/72 kit, however, they do make a vague disclaimer that contents may differ from the illustration!
 _GOTOTOP