_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
My 1st tank/armour build. Tamiya T-34
braindamage
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 09:39 PM UTC
(Updated. See below)

Hello.
This is my first tank build and my 1st winter wash scheme. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

agincajun
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 11:12 PM UTC
That's a fine presentation, you've captured the appearance of a battle worn tank quite well. Kudos to you for a first effort!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 11:40 PM UTC
Looks great,a fine job on the worn whitewash and chipping,like the worn roadwheels too.Since your asking for suggestions,perhaps a dirty wash to tone down the white,white wouldn't stay clean in the field too long.Think of white cars you see in the aftermath of a snowstorm.Unless you are depicting a fairly pristine vehicle.
pgb3476
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 976 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 11:52 PM UTC
While your presentation is very nice, those two tow hooks on the front round section are not accurate. Aberdeen proving grounds had a single hatch T-34 and added them to pull it around. Tamiya just copied what Aberdeen did on there early T-34 kits. Just remember that for your next Tamiya T-34.
stikpusher
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 02:13 AM UTC
It looks pretty good overall. All I can add to the above critiques would be for you to consider adding some soot stains around the exhaust and fuel spill stains at the filler points such as on the external fuel cans. And perhaps add a dark wash on the engine screening.
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 02:58 AM UTC

Wow! That's really great as a first build, especially the winter white wash. I would be very pleased with it!

DanEgan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 03:50 AM UTC
I wish my first tank kit looked that good! You're off to a great start.

Suggestions: The feedback you got on the tow hooks is correct. If you build another T-34 kit, and its not a Tamiya kit, you won't find those hooks.

One basic thing on armor models is alignment of parts. For example, hatches should sit centered on the "hole" they go in, and should not be closer to one side than they are the other. Tow hooks should be truly vertical if they are supposed to be, not at an angle off vertical. Ejector pin marks need to be sanded off or filled/sanded.

That said, your paint job is excellent and you are obviously creative, so, your next build will undoubtedly be even better.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 06:48 AM UTC
If you build another T-34, lots of people leave the driver’s hatch closed and the periscope covers on it closed too. That’s fine for a stationary and unoccupied one but it means the driver can’t see out, so if you depict it as moving, have at least one cover up if the hatch is closed (as it would be in combat).

Finish looks good though - great start for first armour model.
braindamage
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 08:31 AM UTC
Thank guys for the nice and helpful feedback. I don't know very much about tanks. I am looking forward to learning more. I really appreciate the advice. For examample, I have photos of T-34s and have not seen the tow hooks mentioned above. Building it though I didn't even consider what my eyes had seen.

I had so much fun building this kit, I went out yesterday and bought another armour subject, the Tamiya Sturmgeschutz. Upon my arrival home I began working on it right away.

I will study photos before assembly.

Thanks again.
agincajun
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I had so much fun building this kit, I went out yesterday and bought another armour subject . .

Man you said it all right there, having fun and assembling a model of a particular vehicle you're fond of is what it's all about. Enjoy your builds and try not to get too caught up in making a masterpeice, I remember Francois Verlinden once said "you may only build one really good looking model out of ten, as long as you had fun doing it". For this to be your first build I'd say you're off to a great start
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 12:30 PM UTC
For your first armor build it looks very good!!!! My only thiung has been said before but maybe some fuel stains, little soot and a wash to tone the white down. another thing to consider it to do a bit of a white dot filter AKA put on some white dots of oil paints and using a flat wide brush with a little thinner drag the white down in streaks to add some color variation. Other then that looks very good!
braindamage
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 05:38 PM UTC
Many thanks.

I will be following advice given here regarding toning down the white and adding fuel stains.

braindamage
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi again. I did this.

Thoughts appreciated.

braindamage
Visit this Community