_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Reccomendation on airbrush compressors
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 06:14 AM UTC
I am looking for a good quality/ reliable compressor. Cost is secondary. I was thinking Sparmax or Iwata but I am open to suggestions. I think I perfer one with a tank of sometype. The primary use is modeling. If you make a suggestion please throw in a "because" please.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 06:44 AM UTC
I can recommend the oil-lubricated one I have, which is an Italian affair which looks remarkably like the Bambi BB8. Near silent (like a fridge) but with a decent size tank so most of the time it’s not even running. It’s quite heavy though, so luggable rather than portable. Still, I don’t need to move it about much.

Bought an ex demo one on eBay for something like 2/3 of retail price.
iam2brb
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 09:46 AM UTC
I bought one of these two years ago vie flea-bay at what i am pretty sure is this link, and couldn't be more pleased. Very quiet, works like a champ!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Twin-Cylinder-Airbrush-Compressor-Tattoo-Nail-Art-Hobby-Spray-Brush-Set/333753261445?epid=13023391995&hash=item4db53e9d85:g:8v4AAOSwvl1fhi1M
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 10:12 AM UTC
I think the first fundamental question is .... is noise a problem or not? ... do you work in the garage or at home, because if the noise is not a problem buy the biggest tank you can even if when it is on it makes your walls shake it lights up once in a while

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am looking for a good quality/ reliable compressor. Cost is secondary. I was thinking Sparmax or Iwata but I am open to suggestions. I think I perfer one with a tank of sometype. The primary use is modeling. If you make a suggestion please throw in a "because" please.

Note, quiet is a plus where I am.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 10:36 AM UTC
Yes quiet is a concern. I work in the garage but the knocking of a loud compressor travels through the house leading to grumbles.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Note, quiet is a plus where I am.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 10:47 AM UTC
Ok....now I can tell you a secret ... which is not a secret .... Sparmax has been the compressor manufacturer for Iwata for at least 15 years.

Iwata gives them the specs, quality control etc .. not just banging on their logo but the manufacturer it is the same, if I had to choose between the 2 I would look at the price and after sales service in your area, noise and performance should be the same

nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 12:27 PM UTC
Quietness was an issue for me as well, and being aware that Sparmax manufactures for Iwata, I have been using a Sparmax AC-27 for 18 months without issue. It is basically the same as the Iwata Silverjet for 2/3 of the price.
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 03:12 PM UTC
Get a tank type. Oil lubed ones are quieter. But no matter what get two really good water traps. One on the output side of the compressor and another as part of a mount/holder for the inlet to your airbrush. I have an automotive compressor that I can fill for 5 minutes and paint for 5 months. I have a water trap on the output of the compressor that the 50ft hose attaches to. I then plug the other end of the hose in another water trap slash regulator that my airbrush attach to. The secondary regulator has finer regulator control for lower pressures, under 100psi while my output regulator/water trap can go to 250 psi. It's a bit difficult to set if for 20psi.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 03:29 PM UTC
If the price is not a big problem and you really want something very quiet go to Silentaire, they are the Ferrari's of the silent compressors, produced in northern Italy like the Ferrari! ...

http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/aboutus.asp
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC
I have an Iwata Power Jet Pro and I highly recommend it. Over the 40 years I've been airbrushing, I've had just about every type and make of compressor out there, and I finally treated myself to this one. It's about as loud as a fish tank (hmmmmmmm) when it runs. It has 2 cylinders, a tank, and 2 hose outlets/regulators. It will last longer than me, so I'm totally happy with it.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 04:49 AM UTC
Gotta agree with the tank type for two reasons:

1) Hobby use compressors with a tank (i.e.; Iwata, Sparmax) will be much quieter with a tank, since they only cycle on to keep the tank pressurized rather than running continuously. These compressors are usually quieter to begin with than the industrial types.
2) Because a tank compressor only cycles to fill the tank, the wear and tear on the compressor is much less than on the continuously running types, which means they’ll last longer in the long run, require less maintenance (although you’ll still need a water trap and to drain the tank after use, especially in the NW). They’ll stay cooler in the summer heat too.
VR, Russ
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 09:42 AM UTC
Matt, I was eyeballing the same Iwata you have or the Sparmax Quantum, but was keeping an open mind as I may not need a Ferrari or a Peterbuilt. I like to buy good tools but you do not always need a tool set from British McLaren to work on a Subaru. So I ask around just to keep the extravagance in check.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 10:46 AM UTC
I have a 20 lb co2 tank that I bought at my local welding shop. No moving parts to wear out and the only sound it makes is the air coming out of the airbrush. I exchange it once a year after it runs out for about $20. Also there is no condensation in the air to to worry about.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matt, I was eyeballing the same Iwata you have or the Sparmax Quantum, but was keeping an open mind as I may not need a Ferrari or a Peterbuilt. I like to buy good tools but you do not always need a tool set from British McLaren to work on a Subaru. So I ask around just to keep the extravagance in check.

If you are concerned about cost, check ebay, Amazon, Model Expo or Micro-Mark for lower cost knock-offs. I bought a knock-off compressor via Micro-Mark 16 years ago, and it’s still going strong. It’s a little “rougher” than some of the newer Iwata and Sparmax types, but it also saved me about $150. One word of caution, stay away from the compressors at Harbor Freight— unless you want to replace it.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP