_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Please consider posting in the new forum
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 02:03 AM UTC
As most of you hopefully know by now the current forums will be closing down and the new forum is up and running so please consider starting new threads in the new forums.
The content of the old forums will be archived but those arcives will be read-only (no replying et.c).

https://forums.kitmaker.net/
Sleepwalker71
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 02:34 AM UTC
Technical question - what about ongoing campaigns threads?
Spearhead01
Visit this Community
Norrbotten, Sweden
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Technical question - what about ongoing campaigns threads?

+1 on that question.

Regards, Freddy
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 03:03 AM UTC
Sorry. I don't have the answer to how the campaigns will be handled.
The Discourse platform isn't really designed for campaigns. Thinking is still ongoing but we will probably have to feel our way forward (experiment and rethink)
baldwin8
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As most of you hopefully know by now the current forums will be closing down and the new forum is up and running so please consider starting new threads in the new forums.

I am an occasional visitor to the forums. What new forum? Link?

Okay, I see at the top panel. Thanks and sorry for the stupid question.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 06:11 AM UTC
Why a new forum? What is the difference?
simonking
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 07:20 AM UTC
Would if I could but I can’t get registered...

RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would if I could but I can’t get registered...

Jim or I have activated your account. You seem to be one of the unfortunate ones who got stuck courtesy of your friendly e-mail provider who decided that the activation e-mail was spam/phishing/virus/trojan or other garbage
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why a new forum? What is the difference?

Lots of differences, the best difference is the incredibly easy (up to modern standards) way of posting images. That improvement alone is worth the change.
The more pressing reason is that this forum implementation is getting close to the end of it's technical life. The servers are about to give up so Jim had to make or get something new.
The user interface is different, some parts are better and some parts are better in the old forum.
Posting images is worth ALL the hassle ....
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 01:26 PM UTC
Hi;

Tt who & all this may concern; "SORRY"-- But I an Not Impressed with the New Forum; I really Don't see the reason for A new forum !! If Its Not Broke, then why change it !!!!! Maybe because I am just Old School and ready to be put out for pasture I have been Modeling for over 60+ years and have over 600 kits in my collection, so for Old Farts like Me its hard to accept change !!

CHEERS; MIKE
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 04:58 PM UTC
look from the modeling perspective, once they made the BF-109 with the rivets and paneling in positive, then the technology allowed to finally produce the Bf-109 with the rivets and paneling in negative, they could continue to produce with the old molds but it would have been counterproductive and anachronistic ... same thing for the forum...its positive rivets are no longer in step with the times and its mold has reached the end of its productive life...RIP

Then it is clear that there are those who will get used to it faster than others but there is no other choice...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi;

If Its Not Broke, then why change it !!!!!

CHEERS; MIKE

With the servers going the old forum is broke. So time to update.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 11:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi;

Tt who & all this may concern; "SORRY"-- But I an Not Impressed with the New Forum; I really Don't see the reason for A new forum !! If Its Not Broke, then why change it !!!!! Maybe because I am just Old School and ready to be put out for pasture I have been Modeling for over 60+ years and have over 600 kits in my collection, so for Old Farts like Me its hard to accept change !!

CHEERS; MIKE

LOL Yes. I myself moved over to the new website, but really enjoy and appreciate hearing the broad views of others. This is what makes the world go 'round! Much respect sir!!
jps
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 11:50 PM UTC
It appears that my provider called you spam too could you get me into the new forums also?
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2020 - 11:53 PM UTC
With all the fuss about new forums and registrations, I just think we should all say a big thank you to Jim and Robin who are helping members cross over to the new forum as painless as possible.

Thanks guys!
Mario
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It appears that my provider called you spam too could you get me into the new forums also?

Which user-name did you create over on "the other side"?

There are a few which I can't connect to existing users on this side ...
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With all the fuss about new forums and registrations, I just think we should all say a big thank you to Jim and Robin who are helping members cross over to the new forum as painless as possible.

Thanks guys!
Mario

"Cross Over" makes it sound like an out of body expierience
But yes,there really a lot of time involved,thank you
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 - 04:22 AM UTC
Tried to set up my new account but never got an e-mail back from you guys Will try again.

I realize progress must march forward but not particularly happy with loosing my old but still active threads, some with over a 100,000 or even 500,000 hits!

Sorry Jim
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tried to set up my new account but never got an e-mail back from you guys Will try again.

I realize progress must march forward but not particularly happy with loosing my old but still active threads, some with over a 100,000 or even 500,000 hits!

Sorry Jim

Jim activated your account 4 days ago.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2020 - 01:28 AM UTC
Can we start a new topic on the new forums with the same name as our current "old" topic and then post a link back to the old topic on the new format?

Also if yes. then how long will this method be functional?
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2020 - 02:24 AM UTC
Linking works now but I don't know how it will behave when Jim archives the old forums. Not sure how the "html-mummy" works together with linking to specific topics/threads
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2020 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Linking works now but I don't know how it will behave when Jim archives the old forums. Not sure how the "html-mummy" works together with linking to specific topics/threads

I was wondering this as well, so I just gave it a test run. I have copied my "Gearing Class Odyssey" thread across from MSW to the new site and dropped a link to the old archived thread into the first post on the new site. It appears as boxed title in the new thread (circled in YELLOW in the image below) and when clicked opens in a new window on my browser.

I will be restarting some of my longer threads this way on the new forums, not copying the whole thread across.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, D
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 - 01:21 PM UTC
OK - this is NOT intended to be argumentative - this is more simply an open letter about what I thought this site was about - maybe it's me that has the wrong idea.

Besides being a site built to discuss current events in the hobby world, new product introductions and shared info on various modeling techniques. I , perhaps falsely, saw this site as being a modeler's reference information source.

If I am right in that thinking then I have to point out that you cannot function as a information reference source if you burn down the library!

Again just trying here to share an alternative viewpoint.

I have for a number of years maintained a sizable photo hosting database (at my own expense) for basically no other reason than to make the threads I have authored plus the many vehicle walk-arounds, Museum tours and reenactment after action reports available to your membership as PERMANENT reference material for the good of the entire group. In no way do I make back any compensation what so ever for doing this. I have both a physical and a monetary investment in this site. So in all this I too can say I am a volunteer.

Further I contribute monthly not only in the form of threads, comments, reviews, photographs and how-too's but I make a monthly monetary contribution to this site as well.

Jim I do respect what you are trying to do and to some small extent I can comprehend the programming restraints you are under, however to design/create (add to that spring upon us at the eleventh hour, as a fate complat) an entire system wide update that will cause this group to basically be cut off from "all that has gone before" indicates that this organization has seriously gone off the rails! -- IMHO.

From this writer's point of view it is simply unacceptable that the old cannot be migrated over to the new - further, once you discovered this failing in the new system design you should have halted your efforts immediately and searched for an alternate path until you found one!. That you, and others, continued on down this path to this point today is more than little disconcerting.

I realize my statements may cause a stink. If they do then I am sorry but feel all this all needs to be aired, stink or not!

My current state of mind can only be characterized by one of my ex-wife's favorite sayings (and my least favorite):

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2020 - 07:53 PM UTC
I don't think Jim is intentionally torching the library.
It has been smouldering in the corners for quite some time while Jim has been putting out fires.
Now the conflagration has been reaching the rafters setting the roof on fire so a move has become urgent.

We could try sticking it out until the whole thing crashes down but that wouldn't be very clever.

The new forum does, IMHO, have a number of advantages.
The incredibly easy way of posting images is only one of them.
The topics/threads are shown as flat but they do support replies to individual posts and the author of the post that was replied to gets a notification about the reply.
Private messages are easier to handle.
Flaggin spammers or other irritating content is a lot easier.
A move is also an opportunity to restructure content that has been added a little at a time.

When I explain how to use a feature I often use screenshots (take screen image, draw on it, save on computer, upload to imgur, add link to post, submit post, edit post to rearrange things)
Now I can dump the edited screenshot directly into the post, doesn't even land on my disk drive, and I get a preview of my post while typing so I can sort out layout issues directly instead of doing multiple rounds of edit-post-edit-post.

The new forum is a big improvement but I do understand that it sucks to redo work or leave everything behind.
Copying content is really simple though. Just have two browser windows open, copy paste text and drag-n-drop images. Remember that adding images to posts is REALLY easy in the new forum.
I haven't tried copy-pasting a whole post, text and images in one big chunk, yet

Edit: Tried copying a whole post: The images needs to be dragged and dropped one by one so it isn't totally easy.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2020 - 01:24 AM UTC
Also I'm SURE no one minds loosing all their campaign ribbons or their service ranks. ?*?*?*?*? (Never really been my thing but I can certainly see this as a enjoyable function that helps to involve many even deeper into this site.)

Then there is the awkward topic of difficulties with those involved in the current building campaigns.
 _GOTOTOP