_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
T-Shirt Photo Contest
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC
After attending the IPMS Richmond show I realized how nice it would be to have been able to wear something to possibly hook-up with more people who use or know about the site. So I am proceeding with a design for an Armorama T-shirt. I'm just going to try the ink-jet printer/transfer type to do the proto-types and if that works (and holds up decently) I might do the rest that way. It would keep the cost down. If no I can definately have them done professionally. Will just cost more $$.

So... The contest! I want to feature a hi-res model image of a tank or other AFV on the back of the shirt. It will go above or below the logo. There may be room for a small slogan too, so I still need input for that as well.

To submit a photo, please take one with a plain white background and surface area. Here are some ideas for possible images. E-mail it to: [email protected].

1.) Tank - direct frontal shot with turret to one side slightly
2.) Tank or AFV - eyelevel shot of vehicle going over something. I can put in a rock-pile or other element in photoshop.
3.) Overhead shot - direct overhead shot.
4.) Eye-level Side shot

You can do your own though. I will judge and determine the winner. Figures are not required by you can certainly have them. Keep in mind that for the most part I need a white background though.

Please NOTE: This need to be a Hi-Res image of a model. No mamby-pamby web resolutions for this one. If your using a digital camera use the higher res setting. Not nesessarily the highest though. I don't need a 15mb image.

Questions?

Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
Sounds like alot of FUN!! I have a few in mind and now I can't wait to get home.
Shall we e-mail them directly to the "staff@" address?? :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 02:24 AM UTC
Been waiting for you to do this.....(arms folded/tapping foot). Great Idea! Can't wait for the input to start rolling in. Sabot should be a great source of current stuff. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, and very little local source material. Although I did just find out that there's supposed to be a Sherman out front at our new NG base. But it's probably not dynamic enough.
Question tho Jim. The submitted pictures will of course be posted so we can all see them right? Also, (a suggestion) it would be nice if you had a vote-off or something similar to at least generate a popular opinion amoungst your members, with you of course having the final word.
Now a final input, I don't think the members would be oppoosed to kickin' in a few extra pesos for a better quality shirt. I've had a few shirts done in the past 'on-the-cheap' and they really didn't hold up and looked exactly that...cheap.

Tread
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 04:44 AM UTC
Ken - Looking forward to seeing your submissions! Yes, send to [email protected].

Tread - While I am not opposed to looking at actual armor (not models) pics. I think I really want a shot of a model kit. Will just make the shirt more hobby related. And I am completely with you on the quality thing. That's why I am going to try this home-grown method first and wash and wear the shirts to see how they hold up.

Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 06:47 AM UTC
http://www.devens.army.mil/rtsm/index.htm I can bring in my digital camera and get a better shot of the M1A1 on my site. I'm not that good a photographer though.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 08:11 AM UTC
Rob,
Errr....see amended bold copy in original post. Sorry guess I wasn't clear on that point.

:)

Jim
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 10:05 AM UTC
Gonna make me take a picture of some POS I build, huh?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 10:09 AM UTC
Yup.

POS? Pictured Old Surplus?

Jim
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 10:43 AM UTC
POS? - Poor Old Stuff?
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:09 AM UTC
Heck I would but a T-shirt with just the Armorama.com logo on it. I think you have a cool logo by it's self.

Ron C.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Heck I would but a T-shirt with just the Armorama.com logo on it. I think you have a cool logo by it's self.

Ron C.

Ditto Ron - I'd buy a plain one with the armorama.com logo on it too.

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 05:22 AM UTC
Same here, a good quality dark green T-shirt with the Armorama logo on the breast. Nothing too "geekish", maybe even a golf shirt with the logo embroidered in light green or gold, that would look real professional.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:15 AM UTC
Well I can do two or more versions if you guys would prefer the simple look.

Embroidery - Do you know how much that costs for 10-30 shirts?

Jim
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:20 AM UTC
Jim,

I have a friend who has an embroidery machine, I'll ask her what she'll take. I think all she needs are some good GIFs or JPEGs, if not I'm sure she can convert to what she needs with those formats.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
Brian,
Great. Let me know what the price breakdowns are like. Like for 1 color or 2 colors. And are we talking embroidered right onto the shirt or on a backing (like a patch).

Thanks,
Jim
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
I had some Embroidery done once. The place charged me $100 to digitize the image then it was pretty cheap for each shirt done after that. That was about 5 years ago, shouldn't be to different now. They charged by actual thread count on the embroidery but if you keep it small it wasn't really that bad a price
Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
If not embroidered (you're right, costly) a small silk screen logo. More likely to get worn in public than a large T-shirt design. If you guys are like me, your T-shirt collection is full of hardly worn, ugly T-shirts that the wife won't let you wear except while mowing the lawn. (You're not wearing that are you?). Everytime I run a 5k race, I get another %&#@ T-shirt.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:41 AM UTC
:-) Absolutely true Rob! I can barely get an AMPS t-shirt past my wife...

Gunnie
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:52 AM UTC
Totally concur Rob. A simple T-shirt design would be the simplest (and probably cheapest). I think a slick sideview silouette of a tank over the left breast would be cool. Maybe a green tank on gold shirt? Besides, I need another excuse to add to my t-shirt collection...lol! :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 07:49 AM UTC
See what ya started Jim....lol

Tread.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 09:45 PM UTC
Definatley just the logo. Maybe put a the tank inside the bulls eye of the logo. Hopefully you will have these done by august so I can wear mine at Supercon02 here in DFW. I will have my $$$ waiting.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 09:59 PM UTC
Pete,
Which brings up a good point I could find any info on the Internet about. What do either modern or older tank sighting systems look like. I'm sure the newer systems are pretty complex and similar to aircraft. But is there a common theme in the targeting system that perhaps the logo could better reflect? Or is everyone pretty happy with the logo as is?

With the feedback I am getting perhaps this is what I am seeing:

1. Golf shirt (collared) with a small embroidered Armorama.com logo on the upper right.
2. A heavy t-shirt with silkscreened logo/design on the back. Small logo on front (upper right).

So I need votes in terms of which you would prefer. I guess I will make a poll for it. Vote there! And post your other comments here.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 10:57 PM UTC
Logo looks great!!!! No need to change it. But if you want , I know that on a Bradley, It has 3 reticles ( or target sights). The Tow sight, which is just a cross hair. And the main gun sight which has low mag and hi mag. This is a verticle and horizontal line in the middle of the sight with tic marks. Sabot should know what the sight for a M1 looks like. But really, no need to change the logo!!!!!!!
Polo shirt - I think to represent such a professional upstanding sight, you need to look professional. Need to represent this sight the right way.
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do either modern or older tank sighting systems look like. I'm sure the newer systems are pretty complex and similar to aircraft. But is there a common theme in the targeting system that perhaps the logo could better reflect? Or is everyone pretty happy with the logo as is?

I like the logo as is, dark green golf shirt with a light green or gold logo would look good. An M1A1/2 gunner's primary sight reticle .gif is on the way to you now.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
I like a dark green shirt with a white or gold logo, or a white tee with a green logo, just like the top corner of your home page would also be cool. Then down the road maybe boxers!
 _GOTOTOP