_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tracks Help
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hello guys, Iīm in serious problems!
I always paint the tracks after the overall tank painting, and then I put it on (Iīm talking about vinyl tracks). But unfortunately, for me, on my current project i had to put the tracks on place already, since later it would be impossible (do to the model construction).
So my question is:
How Iīll paint it later, what do you do ? Iīve seen so many models showing the tracks on place before the tank painting, but I didnīt figure how to do this, and believe me, Iīm completly lost, I just donīt have a clue on how to do and what color to use.
The model is still under construction, but Iīm already antecipating a solution to the problem, and maybe trying to get out of further trubles....
Any help is welcomed. thank you!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:08 AM UTC
I'm the same Paulo, I'll paint the tracks before attaching. What I'd like to ask is what's preventing you from attaching them later? Is it side skirts, the drive sprocket? Isn't there a way (if these are the case) in which these can be attached after???
I've had a couple of models which were very difficult to attach the tracks after if all parts of the tank were already glued in place. What model is it?
Keep in mind that many of the models you see with tracks in place before painting are for show, some are not. Those few that are not...hmmm, poses a very good question. Let me try to think of a way to help you...I'll be back! (man, Ive been dying to say that!)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC
Paulo, hopefully you did not already glue or fix the tracks together yet! (not a loop). If this is the case, maybe you can thread it through after painting, than glue of fix together. The tracks should have a little "stretch" to them which should allow you to glue them after the fact.

Another idea would be MAYBE to wrap each of the wheels with tape or paper or mask like frisket before attaching the tracks. Than paint them. Than remove the paper or whatever from the wheels. This may help prevent you from messing up the wheels when painting the tracks.
Still, if I think of another possible method I'll get back to you. Good luck.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 - 09:51 PM UTC
Paulo,
Well most of my tanks are modern and when we are out in the field, tanks seem to ground up what ever they roll across and turn everything into a powder. So what I do is place the tracks on with road wheels and spray the tracks and wheels a earth color. Then I spary lighter shades of the earth color to simulate the road dust.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 01:20 AM UTC
Kencelot;
Itīs a EET-1 Osorio MBT, and the hull is a little further to the sprocket wheels, if I left it to put later I just canīt manage to get it in place (very tigh room to place). And Iīll put the side skirts later on.
EPI;
My model is a prototype, so my biggest problem is that I didnīt figure out how much I gonna weather it, I know that it was used in a trial and evaluations on Saudi Arabia, and the painting would be a light desert yellow (probably sand from Gunze), so do you think is OK to paint it mostly with a shade of sand overall???????
thx for helpping!
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
Guys!
Iīm still searching for help.
SOS
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 10:09 AM UTC
Somehow I missed this post originally, sorry.

The best solution is to attach the side skirts to the upper hull. Then place the upper hull on the lower hull (don't cement). After the hull top and bottom assembly is painted and detailed, take them apart. Then add the running gear and tracks (already painted). Cement the top hull to the bottom hull, touch up the seams and you're done. I'm not very familiar with the Brazilian tank, but this method works with the M1 series tanks.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Somehow I missed this post originally, sorry.

The best solution is to attach the side skirts to the upper hull. Then place the upper hull on the lower hull (don't cement). After the hull top and bottom assembly is painted and detailed, take them apart. Then add the running gear and tracks (already painted). Cement the top hull to the bottom hull, touch up the seams and you're done. I'm not very familiar with the Brazilian tank, but this method works with the M1 series tanks.

Too bad for me! I just glue evrething in place and I mean, I really glue it, since it came a little bit warped. But I can use it on my next project maybe, thank you very much Rob, for the assistence.
BTW: Lol! Thatīs my 150th post!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
 _GOTOTOP