_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Instant Message Function
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 05:56 AM UTC
Jim, have you thought about adding an instant message function to the site? Kinda like ICQ or something like that. When you check the member list and see whose online you could have the option of sending them a real-time instant message vice a private message.

Just an idea.
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 06:21 AM UTC
Brian,
Hmm....I haven't seen any ICQ modules like that for PostNuke. There were some for PHPNuke (the first CMS tool I tinkered with), but I think with the advent of AOL-IM, Yahoo, and now Microsoft, that they figure why bother. Having just used MSN-IM yesterday for the first time I have to admit it's pretty cool.

I will try to find out if there are some ways to take the ICQ info that users can enter in their profile here and use that to some effect. Mine for MSN is "[email protected]" btw.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 06:32 AM UTC
I've never used MSN messenger, mainly ICQ. Maybe I'll have to check it out later this evening. If it's a big hassle, don't worry with it Jim...just something that floated into my brain while browsing the site and seeing who was online. I guess I could update my profile and put my ICQ number in there.

Your right though...with the advent of all the messenger services (and their increased reliability) it's probably just as easy to use that.

Thanks Jim.

By the way, looks like you did get that duplication thing worked out with members that are signed on...haven't noticed a problem with it since your post about it.
 _GOTOTOP