_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Work Shop Area
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC
Friends---Gunnie responded to a question I posted regarding his construction of a windshield on his M-24 model. Urge you to read it under M-24 Walk Around in the Forum section. What the fine Marine placed there indicates to me that he is well organized. The challenging question is "how do I better organize my workspace." For example, I store my paints according to prime colors in a draw configuration. The problem I constantly encounter is "well, which shade of OD am I going to use this time?" Now, if I can figure a better way to cross reference my paints that would not be a problem. I use a magnetic bar to array my tools around the work table. Works great. I see and can easily use tools to complete the project. Gunnie obviously has his plastic structure material arranged by size. How do you store it? I placed mine in a large McDonald soda cup. But they are not arranged by size. I just pull one out and if it looks okay, in she goes. I could never explain to you how I put together an add-on like Gunnie just provided me. I would welcome some discussion on how you organize your areas. The goal is to kick the can around and see what people do to pump out quality models. Appreciate your insights.
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:16 AM UTC
210cav- Well lets see:

I do keep the workshop really organized. The model storage room, however, is a happy, incredibly cluttered mess that all modelers love! Wife doesn't, but I know exactly where everything is - all the time.

In the workshop, I do keep all the styrene separated in organized. I use a bank of tall canisters - like a can of Pringles potato chips - to sort and keep the rods separate from the strips, etc.

Paints are similarly organized by colors too. I custom mix four shades of OD everytime I build a model - no two are alike even though I use the same formula, and I tend to only mix enough for the project at hand. With multiple subjects going on, I keep the four shades of OD in individual bins or drawers.

My miniature projects are kept in a series of plastic Tupperware-like containers, that holds the model in-progress and parts to be incorporated in it. Likewise with painted subassemblies. I buy these bins at Target - because they usually go on sale for a buck a piece. They're stackable too, so I can easily have 12 bins sitting under a corner of the desk at any given time without too much consternation.

I also have several small parts bins - like in a tool shop - that are labeled to hold little parts. Often I'll pull these from their slots and put them into the model tubs to keep everything together. Another label marking the project goes on a folder that holds reference material, notes, drawings, beer caps (these are lucky if 'ya didn't know ) and decal sheets for the project. I have a small hanging file folder on wheels that I push around the workshop with projects in-progress in it - called Artoo Detoo. Artoo holds the projects until I finish them, and then I pull the folder and put it away in a file cabinet and return books to the shelf, scrap decal sheets to the decal bin, etc until needed for a new project. Artoo also holds my IPMS/USA Judges Handbook and the Space Modelers Judges Handbook, as well as a master sheet with paint mixing formulas and drybrushing tones (if I get crazy enough to use them) for quick reference. Several years ago, Artoo held Shep Paine's books and Tony Greenland's reference book. Artoo lives in a "droid plug" underneath one of the glass tables I work on - next to the silent air compressor and several large plastic bins used to haul models like my Dragon Wagon - Hell Cat combination.

Along one-half the wall I keep the reference books and technical manuals I use for modeling. Close enough to make me get up and get one, but far enough away from the workbench to make me think twice about going too overboard on adding superdetail :-) The computer, FAX machine, and electronic office equipment sits there too - far enough away to not be too distracting.

At one time (five years ago) I had a huge "I love me wall" in the workshop with all the awards I've won over the years of competition. I took that crap down when I reconfigured my workshop - and found I do better work! And now the awards sit outside in a shed until they are selected to be stripped of their plates to become display bases for new projects. I've got 265 - enough to last a modeler's lifetime.

In my dreams - when we purchase a house (I own a Condo) I'd like to build a separate shed to hold my model kit collection so that I can keep the insane, but happy, clutter closer at hand. I wouldn't co-locate it in my main work area though - too distracting.

And lastly, I have a little water fountain, a large window for the spray booth, and a small CD player. Used to build models to the soothing tunes of AC/DC and Metallica, but in my relative "old age" (homage to Ron C :-) ) I prefer silence now when modeling. The CD player is used to drown out the umteenth epsiode of "Friends" when the wife is home and wants attention and now its Journey or Styx pumping toons in the Fortress of Solitude. I have French Doors on the Fortress, so that I can close up the room, but look out and see the wife - or is it the reverse???

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:45 AM UTC
Gunnie--many thanks for the reply. I am going to hit Target for the boxes. We own a home in Northern Virginia which (thank God) has a furnished basement. The kids are kinda gone, kinda not so I can pretty well depend on having the area to myself. I decorated the hall with my "I love me" stuff, put my reference books in several bookcases, in the main area I set up two large boards on horses. I use one for assembly and the other to contain the projects under construction. The old air brush stood with me for twenty years and she is a goner now. I used several unsuitable substitutes and will ask for a new (expensive) one on Father's Day. I'll take some photos to post to the Forum. I guess Rob took the normal four day government weekend. He should be back firing next Tuesday. Greatly appreciate you sharing your insights. Thanks again
DJ
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC
Wow Gunnie your workshop sounds fantastic, boy do I need to do some work on mine. Let's just say I'm at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to an organized space. But really, those are great tips, and after I totally remodel my home, I'll have an area in my basement for a nice work area. So I'm thinking maybe 2010, 2011 I'll be in the same ballpark.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Gunnie your workshop sounds fantastic, boy do I need to do some work on mine. Let's just say I'm at the other end of the spectrum when it comes to an organized space. But really, those are great tips, and after I totally remodel my home, I'll have an area in my basement for a nice work area. So I'm thinking maybe 2010, 2011 I'll be in the same ballpark.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh

Hang in there Ron! I spent 8 years modeling in the corner of my little bedroom in an apartment - I promised myself to get a better place. Actually, my wife really spurred on the effort to build a better workshop. Her plans are pretty grand - I go along for the ride! :-)

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 06:45 AM UTC
I've got to wait until retirement and I get my own place. I'm lucky if I get a nook to set up my computer/desk/office area.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 06:53 AM UTC
Gunnie;
Iīm impressed with your workplace, I tried sometime ago, to obtain ideas about a "IDEAL" workplace, but I didnīt get a satisfactory answer.
Now I saw this forum and I get inspired again, Iīm building a new home (as you, I live in a condo) and I have included a room to set my modeling workplace and models (both built and unbuilt) and references etc. If I could have the chance to view your place could be very helpfull.
BTW, for now Iīm building on the kitchenīs table
See you on the friday night chat
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 06:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm lucky if I get a nook to set up my computer/desk/office area

Same here. I have everything well organized but put away. When I build models I have to have about 10-15 minutes to get everything set up and that much time again to put everything away. It does help me keep it all organized though so I guess its not all that bad.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 07:44 AM UTC
Guys--I complained when I had no shoes until I met men who had no feet. Using the kitchen table! Wow, ain't gone that route since high school.
Work on it guys.
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 02:23 AM UTC
Guys--I think we beat this topic to death for awhile.
Thanks for your comments
DJ
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 09:16 AM UTC
Many thanx Gunnie, your input was very valuable to me. I'm having the Computer Space vs. the Modeling Space Wars goin' on at my place. Every little tid bit helps.

Actually I would like to see an 'On The Bench' section here like they have over at Spaceship Modeler...I'd enjoy it.

Tread.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 06:00 PM UTC
Tread,
Please be careful with that. PC's don't like the proximity of heavy-duty modeling activity like sanding, drilling or lathing. My PC and modeling corner share the same attic room, and since I had a harddisk problem in the past, I make sure my PC is covered when my modeling activities produce dust.

I think when it comes down to basics, we all pretty much (would like to) organize our workspace in the same way : try to have everything within arms reach, preferably organized in a tidy fashion.
On my working table, I placed one of those nylon cutting mats that were used in the graphics industry to cut paper (now making magazines is all done on the PC). However, the idea of a glass plate sounds appealing to: glass is easy to clean. Even the toughest spots of glue and paint can be removed with a sharp knife.
Good lighting is important too, and an extra power source, for drilling, lathing, airbrushing or an extra lightsource.
A last point worth mentioning : if you have lots of chemicals around (thinners, solvents, paints, ... ) it's good to have a fire extinguisher around or a fire blanket.
Wisdom only came to me through the years, but I became more careful about such things.
Whenever I use resins, I wear a pair of disposable doctor's gloves. If you look around at DIY shops, you can find them at a decent price.
And whichever way you're organised : make sure those sharp knives and chemicals are out out of reach to children ! When I was much younger, my modeling friend's two years old girl had a stiff drink of methanol he used to clean the airbrush. It took her a few very nasty days of hospital to recover.
So... be careful out there !

Jan

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 07:14 PM UTC
Jan--many thought provoking points here. Thanks for the input.
DJ
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 06:37 AM UTC
I dive tractor trailer here in the U.S. so my workbench is my bunk area I keep paintsglue and tools in some of those small plastic containers For my conversion kits I got a couple big plastic containers to keep them in I use my trucks air system for my air brush I hook up to the red air line I bought an air gage for $50 paid $35 for the airline(can also use it to put air in my tires) Also I got a cordless Dremel Motor Tool They are great to have Chad [quote]Son of Jor-El kneel before Zod!!!!!!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 06:45 AM UTC
Chad--truly awesome. many thanks
DJ
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 06:46 AM UTC
Thx jan, some good safety points there. Both formy computer AND my kids :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 06:48 AM UTC
Hey Zod, is the truck moving when your modeling? :-) :-)

Plays hell with those scribed lines....
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 09:10 PM UTC
Fellows--I bought some AFV track (T-16) for the M-8 I am building. Has anyone used this type track before? I ask because the instructions say do not glue the end connectors. If correct, how do you hold them enplace?
DJ
 _GOTOTOP