_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Trailer / generator - US Army
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:45 AM UTC
In the early nineties, I took pictures of a US army trailer with a power supply generator. It was pulled by an M35A2.
The wheels and tires look the same as the M35's. Wheels are on a single axel, but there's a double wheel at each side (= 4 wheels on the same axel: 2 on left, 2 on right).
The generator looks like a rectangular box with many panels that can be opened/removed.
I cannot find it in the long list of vehicles depicted in the TB43-0209 painting manual.

Can anyone tell me the name of this trailer ? Where could I find more pictures or a plan ?

I would love to scratchbuild it on 1/16. The pictures might do, but a plan would sure help. I have walkaround pictures, but not a top view.

All help is welcome !

Kind Regards, Jan
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
Try this web sight out Jan.
www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/index.html
It list most of the US Army inventory. I cant remember the nomenclature of the generator set. Psot a not to SABOT, he should know. But as I remember the generator I was assigned to had nothing on top, it was flat.

Hope this helps and welcome to the gang.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
I've got a few in the motor pool. I believe they're all done in the NATO 3-color scheme, might have an older one in desert tan. If I remember to (this is short term memory stuff so I may forget) I'll bring my digital camera into work on Tuesday and take some pictures.

FYI, there are several types on generators on the same trailer chassis. Most of the new ones are called "TQG" or tactical quiet generators, they have sound dampening panels inside and a better muffler on the exhaust to make them run quieter than the older types. No real external difference except that one will look newer than the other.
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC
I remember the old noisy kind well. When I was a kid, we lived in a house next to a large parade ground on Schofield Barracks. Periodically, they would conduct manouvres on the parade ground. They always put the HQ tent right behind my bedroom window and left the generators running all night.

-Neil
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 05:11 AM UTC
Wow ! Thank you, Rob !
What I'm mainly missing is a view of the top, and a picture that can help me figure out the sizes (if the wheel is the same as the M35's - and it looks a lot like that - I would be OK).
Now I have a name, I can search the web, too. Maybe something pops up.
Many thanks,

Jan :-)
Sabot
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2002 - 06:36 AM UTC
I've got e-pubs at work and can find out the exact nomenclatures for the generators. We usually just refer to them as the 5k, the 10k, etc.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 04:28 AM UTC

Uh-oh !
I think I'm in trouble here. Just the other moment I hade a visitor's badge and now I got enlisted ! Just the other day I got a letter to tell me that my career as a reserve officer is over and I mothbolled my uniform.
And now I can start all over again. (sigh)

Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
I just look at my generator trailer and it is missing the top. Apparently that is why it was given to us. We use it as a training aid for the generator mechanics and the previous owner banged it up and got the cover knocked off. Our instructors repaired it so it would be mechanically sound, but didn't bother to make it pretty again (no real need to). The ones that do have covers are in desert tan and the old 4-color camouflage. Sorry.

FYI the generators I have are the PU-802 power generation system (15kw). The trailer you describe is the M200A1 2 1/2 ton generator chassis. The PU-XXX will change based on which generator is mounted on the M200A1 chassis.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 03:30 AM UTC
Thank you, Colonel !
I'll try to find some more info on the web with the chassis info you gave me.
In fact, the color doesn't matter. The one I have pictures of is in the old four color scheme (green-black green-tan-black for Europe).
Thanks for info.
Jan
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 03:33 AM UTC
Jan--now that you are back on active duty with a real rank, would you pick a better symbol for you by line
DJ
 _GOTOTOP