_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Good Modern Armor Kit?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 08:25 AM UTC
We've been knocking the WWII tanks around in discussion, but what are the good modern armor kits out there? I tend to grab the modern armor kit that gets good reviews. Some of the best modern armor kits I have run across are the Tamiya Leopard 2A5 and the Italeri Leopard 1A4. Academy's M113A2 gets good reviews but when they talk about it, they always mention taking this and that from the Tamiya or Italeri kit. For those of you who prefer the support vehicles, the AFV M88A1 is a superb kit too. Does anyone know if the Revell of Germany one is a rebox?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC
Hey Rob......great minds think alike :-) Just started a similar thread next door.

But I'll be checking both threads for the reactions.

Tread.

P.S. Glad to hear you like the Loepards so much. That has been the way I've been leanin'
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 05:09 PM UTC
How about British modern armor?
I have Academy's Warrior and I'm very happy with it. There are some smaller flaws, but nothing you can't correct... Accurate Armor has some great aftermarket updates for making 4 different versions of the vehicle, individual track links and crew sets. Eduard has some PE sets for the beast... The only drawback is interior, as there is none on the market, so you must scratchbuild it.
If you want to build Desert Storm, IFOR, KFOR vehicle, I strongly suggest the Warrior..

Mario M.

Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
Hi there
I'll second what Mario says about the Warrior and you could also think about the Tamiya Challenger 1 mk 3.There are Pe sets by Eduard and Airwaves(who also do one for the warrior) and i believe Castoff models do an accessory kit for it in resin.The only accessories missing for the Challenger are tracks and gun barrel,(SHAME)
HTH
Regards
Peter
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:14 AM UTC
Speaking of Accurate Armour (well, kinda) what does everyone think of their products? I've scanned their stuff, looks like some wonderful stuff, but afraid of it being of poor quality or poor fit. Any input on that?

Tread
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Speaking of Accurate Armour (well, kinda) what does everyone think of their products?

I have recently purchased one of their update sets, haven't started with it yet, but from what I can see it looks really good... The quality of resin is great with almost no flash.
However, I have heard some people had problems with warped parts. As as they contacted AA via e-mail, they got the replacement part almost imediately...

Mario M.

Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 08:01 AM UTC
Is it me or has anyone seen any 1/16 scale modern armor kits? Seem's like that would be very interesting to do but all you see is WWII big kits and most of that is German.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 08:53 AM UTC
Howdy Tin,
As far as I know, the only thing available inthat scale is a toy, not a proper kit.
I also wish there was more availability too..

Tread.

BTW, If you want to check out a great source for kits that scale, check here
Dave4what.com

Sabot
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it me or has anyone seen any 1/16 scale modern armor kits? Seem's like that would be very interesting to do but all you see is WWII big kits and most of that is German.

All is not lost. Tamiya is coming out with an M-26 Pershing in 1/16. The original 1/16 scale tanks were the R/C Sherman and the Tiger. Both have been redone and reissued recently. The Sherman had been reissued in an updated form about 3 years ago and it was met with some good reviews (and flew off the shelves) so they went into a redesign of the Sherman and Tiger.
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it me or has anyone seen any 1/16 scale modern armor kits?

There are very few of those. I know Verlinden makes M113 and Accurate Armour has the Scorpion... Does anybody know something more?

Mario M.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
Rob, I think Tamiya's line of JGSDF tanks are really, really, nice and get overlooked. The Type 61 (amazingly reminiscent of the M47 Patton), the Type 74, and Type 90 are great armor model kits. It seems that Tamiya has a certain flair with models representing domestic vehicles, as they are easy to construct and very well detailed. As modern subjects go - these are cool.

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 07:09 AM UTC
Rob--any idea on the cost of the M-26 in 1/16 scale?
thanks
DJ
Sabot
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob--any idea on the cost of the M-26 in 1/16 scale?
thanks
DJ

Just like the Tiger I when it debuted as a full RC kit, $1,000. Took about 3-4 years before the Tigers dropped to the $700 mark. There will probably be a static version in the $250-300 range, but I do not know.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 07:58 PM UTC
Rob--let us know if you win another one of these. Always interested in this type of model. However, the little woman almost killed me over the M-26 Dragon Wagon. I can just see me coming in the door with a "HI Honey, I just spent a $1000 for a model." Good Lord, the pain! The woman has no sense of humor.
DJ
DJ
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We've been knocking the WWII tanks around in discussion, but what are the good modern armor kits out there? I tend to grab the modern armor kit that gets good reviews. Some of the best modern armor kits I have run across are the Tamiya Leopard 2A5 and the Italeri Leopard 1A4. Academy's M113A2 gets good reviews but when they talk about it, they always mention taking this and that from the Tamiya or Italeri kit. For those of you who prefer the support vehicles, the AFV M88A1 is a superb kit too. Does anyone know if the Revell of Germany one is a rebox?

The Revell kit is indeed a rebox of the AFV club kit with the appropriate additions for the Bundeswehr.

Other good to great kits include -
Revell Germany -
Marder APC
Fuchs

DML
ZSU - Shilka
M548
MLRS

Skif
(be careful some of the Skif kits can be a bit heavy/thick on details)
MT-LB
T-64
T-80

Later,
Tim
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Revell Germany - Marder APC

Is this a better kit than the Tamiya Marder?
Then you never tried the Tauro A7V, you will hate tank models after working on those tracks.
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Revell Germany - Marder APC

Is this a better kit than the Tamiya Marder?
Then you never tried the Tauro A7V, you will hate tank models after working on those tracks.

Actually... I loved the tank... and hated those stupid rubber/plastic/oily/breakable links...

I believe that the Revell kit is better than the Tamiya kit... which came out quite some time ago... it's also a lot cheaper.

Later,
Tim
 _GOTOTOP