_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stug lV Late by Dragon
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 05:03 PM UTC
I just started to assemble the late Stug lV by Dragon, kit no. 6043. I arrived at step 3 to attach rear plate #B31 to the hull. Apparently someone at DML screwed up big time. Rear plate B31 as supplied with this kit is not the right part for this model. It looks like DML has produced this model on the cheap, as there are many unused parts, and included sprues from either a Mk lV, or the Panzerjager lV. Their model makers did not produce a modified rear plate for the Stug lV, and the part which is included is missing the pieces to complete it, presumably originally on a different sprue. It is really annoying to have a major part missing on a $35 (Can) model and have to cancel a project.
Has anyone else had this problem with this particular model, or know if DML supplies the proper part on request?
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 06:06 PM UTC
Try an Email, explain that you are" very anoid and disapointed with their product which is usualy of a high standard " and ask for a replacment of the correct part. Might work.

Henk

Edit, that should be 'anoyed'
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 12:51 AM UTC
Hi

Ouch that ain't good. You could try to write them OR go to the Dragon Cares bulletin board :-) Post the fact that your kit was missing an entire sprue and see what happens :-)

Bonne chance

Tom
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
Nope.

You have the part DML made for the kit. They do not supply a proper LATE stug IV rear plate. You are not missing a sprue nor is their a replacement piece. When they made the kit either:

a. They did not notice the change to be made or

b. They looked at a copy of the Stug IV that hade that plate onthe back.

Sorry to dissappoint. i am just building the kit I have as is.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 03:35 PM UTC
To Jacques;
If you are building this same kit you may have noticed the amount of discard parts which leads me to believe that half the sprues were actually tooled for a different vehicle, hence the notice on the box cover, 'New Tooling'. And if you try to build it 'as is', then you're going to have to build it without rear idlers. The rear idler mounts were moulded seperately, and apparently, on a different sprue which is not included in this kit. There is also a gaping hole where another part should have been located. No parts numbers exist for the missing parts, because, as illustrated on the instruction sheet, these pieces were moulded on the rear plate which should have been included.
P.O.'ed
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 05:20 PM UTC
I will check it out and leave comments in a while.

Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2004 - 05:43 PM UTC
Biggles, I have a spare backplate for the Tamiya Pzr IV ausf H, which I don't need. It has the idler mounts molded on. Not sure if they are the same as I havn't got a StuG IV, but if it helps you'er welcome to it.

Cheers
Henk
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2004 - 04:26 PM UTC
Thanks for your offer Henk, but Britain is a bit far for such a small part. I think i'll just stop complaining and scratch-up the 3 missing parts. It can't be that difficult (famous last words!). That and a lot of mud to hide the workmanship should work. It's just the inconvenience of the situation that bugs me, coming from a usually high-quality company. I think the problem is that they got cheap and combined sprues from the late Stug lll, Jagdpanzer lV/70 (the schurzen brackets were a give-away), hull top and bottom from a late Pz lV, and a sprue of new parts to complete the Stug lV appearance. Then Quality Control never actually built the model to see if this conglomeration was compatible, or even complete.
As an aside, Dragon's Pak 40 includes 3 different and very excellent muzzle brakes. As you only need one to build the gun, the remaining 2 make great replacement parts on any other 75/L43 or L48 armed vehicles. I replaced the muzzlebrake on my late Stug lll and it really makes a difference.
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2004 - 04:49 PM UTC
No probs Biggles. Good luck with the scratchbuilding, and if you change your mind, just PM me. Helping each other out is what this site is all about..

Cheers
Henk
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC
Okay, here is what I got:

It looks like they used some of the parts from the SD Panzer IV J. Part B31 has several of the pieces molded on that other kits had seperate.

Using B31, you add F29 and then F8 fits into the remaining hole...and ther is no gap left over...not sure if this is prototypical or not (I am NOT a big WWII german armor fan...I just play one).

I have this built right now sitting in front of me..(I built it a while back) and it looks good...now, are you missing part F29?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 05:47 PM UTC
Out of curiosity I just bought the Stug lV early model by Dragon. It too is a compilation kit of several others for the neccessary parts to build this kit. But this kit contained sprue C from the Jagdpanzer lV kit. This sprue contains parts 55; 56; 4; and 1 to complete the hull rear. This was the sprue missing from my Stug lV late model. These parts are not mentioned in the instructions for either version of the Stug lV, so you have to know what's missing and hunt for them. If any other modeller out there is building the Stug lV late model and find they are missing the same parts, request sprue C from the Jagdpanzer lV kit from Dragon.
Hummel2112
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 - 10:57 PM UTC
just ran into the same issue,i submitted a request from dragon for sprue c,maybe someone has a spare they can part with
Cheers!
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 01:08 AM UTC
A while back I started Dragon's PzBefWg 1, kit#6597, a C&C tank based on a Pz. I chassis. The exception being that the body was extended and an extra road wheel added. Only 8 road wheels were included and not the 10 needed along with 10 PE rims.
I contacted Dragon, we went back & forth and they FINALLY acknowledged the problem. BUT, I couldn't produce the receipt for the kit. And that was that, problem solved for Dragon, not me!
How can you release a kit and not service the problem?
The happy ending was an Armorama member stepped up and sent me the 2 missing wheels.
I vowed never buy another NEW Dragon kit again.
During the Pandemic I started their PzKpfw. IV L70(A), nice kit so far, when Dragon was on their game nobody was better. Some where along the line they lost their vision and now suck.
Good luck Biggles on your build !
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 01:39 AM UTC
According to Scalemates DML 6043 is from 1995. It was indeed a mix and match of bits from the Jagdpanzer IV kits that DML had done as well as the first iteration of the Pzkpfw IV ausf J last.

Fortunately I got the Stug IV early kit so didn't have to deal with the missing bits but used the Eduard zimmerit intended for the Late. Yeah, photoetch zimmerit. Filing and filling and it's good enough for me. Anyone else? No.

I also did the Pzkpfw IV ausf J last since they shared so many parts.

This is most definitely not the Dragon models of later but instead among their first forays into German WW2 armor after they fixed their first few unbuildable kits like the first Hummel and Jagdpanzer IV (A).(DML 6015) (Shudder)
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 02:27 AM UTC
Here are some pics of two real Stug IV's, from the same production period as the kit:

Another nice addition would be a correct Rundumsfeuergerat with long wings:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/griffon-model-l35a116-stugiii-iv-shield-and-resin-ammo-drum--223823

Enjoy your build.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 04:24 AM UTC
...and the road goes ever on...
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 04:41 AM UTC
Maybey you could post a pic of part B31 that is included.
steel_tiger1
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 - 05:42 AM UTC
Look up this seller on ebay he sells most of the trees for any Dragon kit. I have purchased from him before. They are all new sealed trees.A little spendy depending on the tree but in stock and ships quick. So worth a little extra in my opinion. Search his store for "dragon tree" or the kit # if you know it. remember that the same tree can be in multiple kits. so if it's not listed try another kit #. You can find the exact tree you need.I searched for Jagdpanzer trees and I think tree B is what you need. anyway good luck.
Seller: beaddreamsllc

Tom
 _GOTOTOP