Hosted by Richard S.
A series of unfortunate events.
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 05:49 PM UTC

OK, not a series, but one single catastrophe. This was my Maple Leaf Models M113 ARVL conversion set, a beautifully crafted resin kit that was to be half of, although the focal point of, my Bucket Bonanza entry.
A clumsy elbow knocked over a full 2 oz bottle of super thin CA glue over a great deal of this kit and one sides worth of Trackjam's CDN M113 HKCW indy link track, including drive sprocket.
With three weeks to campaign end, I am regrettably withdrawing my entry.
I will, of course, overcome my grief and survive to see all of your finished projects- I'm already very impressed with the skill shown by submitted pictures!
Cheers
Mike
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 06:07 PM UTC
Nail Polish Remover or Acetone will get rid of the superglue. I don't know what effect it will have on the resin though.

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 06:22 PM UTC
omg that's bad luck!!

I hope you manage to build your entry after all!

Good luck!
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 06:23 PM UTC
Thanks for the quick reply, Gary. Lemon Cutex, containing acetone, has taken away the still-wet stuff, but only polishes the dried up stuff. It's also affecting the resin by making it dull and chalky, although not more brittle than usual. It is discoloring the black plastic of the track, though, to near white. This one may be a write-off.
Cheers,
Mike
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 07:38 PM UTC
Good luck Mike. I hope you can salvage it. Let us know how it comes out.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 02:58 AM UTC
Maybe I could swing a hardship ribbon when you get this done.

If you scrap it then I'll buy the rear spade bits from you for a YPR 806.

Best of luck cleaning it up.

Paul
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:14 AM UTC
So what's the lesson here?

Never leave a bottle of fast curing CA glue with the cap off. Like you, I have learned that the hard way. If you must have the bottle open though, here is a little trick I use from time to time. Get a scrap piece of Styrofoam and place the CA bottle on top of it. Using a marker, outline the bottom of the bottle on the Styrofoam. Then, using a sharp knife, cut out outlined section of the Styrofoam. Depending on the thickness of the Styrofoam you may cut all the way through or just make a deep enough hole so that the CA bottle fits in securely. Place you bottle in there and I can almost guarantee you will never have another spill like the one you just had.
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
Man that sucks! I feel for you, and know the feeling! I have a similar story about a figure I was working on and had completed. It was all but done, I was adding secondary shadows and highlights to the face, that was it. Alot of work almost down the drain. I had very little sleep the night before, so was a little clumsy, fumbling around and such. So I have the figure standing next to a bottle of... OPEN THINNER!! Well you can probably guess what happened next! Yep, somehow, I bumped the figure and in my haste to try and keep it from falling over, I dump the bottle of thinner all over the fallen figure. I panicked for a second but knew I had to act fast! I had the blowgun hooked up to the compressor already and grabbed the figure and sprayed it off with air fast! The only thing tht happened was the fresh shadows and highlights I had just done were now gone, but nothing else! I got lucky but it could have been disasterous. Makes you want to cry doesn't it?
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Armorama: 416 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:41 AM UTC
Good tip, Marty
I usually use a snake of modeling clay wrapped around whatever bottle is open at the time, lightly tacked to the worksurface.

Mike, hard, hard luck, mate. 'Couple of things you might try-
1.)Cutex is highly dilute acetone, you may wish to try some straight ace, dabbed on w/a brush around the edges. this can sometimes evaporate under the edge and loosen the vacuum created by the C/A., allowing you to peel it off bit by bit.
2.)try freezing the parts overnight. This can embrittle C/A to the point it can be chipped off. A more desperate alternative to this is dry ice(use protection, and be careful you don't shatter the resin)
If the kit's a write-off, you've got little to lose, eh?
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:52 AM UTC
Paul, I may get through this with a minor adjustment to my design- it is set in mud, after all. If not, I will salvage what I can of the spades.
Martin, that's a fantastic idea! I've got lots of styrofoam sitting around with nothing to do, it may as well keep me from throwing expensive kits away!
Steve, I didn't want to cry, but the CA fumes were burning my eyes, so...
And David, I will try straight acetone once I find some, but the whole piece of cardboard's going right into the freezer right away!
Thank you for these tips, you'll find out on February 15 how I did!
Cheers all,
Mike
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hey Mike that looks bad. One thing i can tell you that will help, and i even used it with great results. "Insta-Cure" make a debonder that will free up your parts. Just go back to your hobby store and where you found the glue, the debonder should be along with it. I wish you luck in any way go about cleaning up.
TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 206 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC
something like that happend to me too, but not with the glue but with revell enamel colour. you know this 14 ml revell tins, i touched it with my ellbow and the whole colour was on the tracks of a panzer 35(t) grml
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 05:44 AM UTC
I think crazy glue makes a debonder i don't know if this would work, it gets the glue off fingers. I hope you work it out.
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think crazy glue makes a debonder i don't know if this would work, it gets the glue off fingers. I hope you work it out.

The debonder is basically an acetone based product. If you can find straight acetone (hardware store) it is a heck of alot cheaper than the de-bonder.

TheMadMax
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 206 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 06:05 AM UTC
wont acetone attack the resin?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 06:13 AM UTC
What a shame! i was trying to think of some funny comment but I just can't.
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 03:43 PM UTC
Mein Gott!
OK we can dig into the spares box. How much Diehl track do you need? I have a couple of buckshee sprockets as well.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you must have the bottle open though, here is a little trick I use from time to time. Get a scrap piece of Styrofoam and place the CA bottle on top of it. Using a marker, outline the bottom of the bottle on the Styrofoam. Then, using a sharp knife, cut out outlined section of the Styrofoam. Depending on the thickness of the Styrofoam you may cut all the way through or just make a deep enough hole so that the CA bottle fits in securely. Place you bottle in there and I can almost guarantee you will never have another spill like the one you just had.

This tip works very well and is a must. This is especially true for Tenax users (a plastic bonder). The round bottle makes it very prone to knocking over. While it won't glue your parts to your surface (unless you cover your workbench with styrene), it will seriously damage the surface detail of any part it comes in contact with.

Jeff
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 04:08 PM UTC
Daily errands (like work and such) have delayed the cleaning. I did, however, pick up some pure acetone and the whole jumble has been in the freezer all day. At -27 Celsius today, I'd have been better off leaving them on the porch. Thanks, everyone, for the concern, I may finish this by 15 Feb after all.
Paul, the damage is only 13 links with pads, 14 end connectors and 1 drive wheel. I appreciate the favour, and I'll send in an order to give you a reason to type out my mailing address again. On that note, is the Legend Centurion mark V set to be paired with the Tamiya mark III set to create a Canadian version?

Cheers everyone
Mike
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 04:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Daily errands (like work and such) have delayed the cleaning. I did, however, pick up some pure acetone and the whole jumble has been in the freezer all day. At -27 Celsius today, I'd have been better off leaving them on the porch. Thanks, everyone, for the concern, I may finish this by 15 Feb after all.
Paul, the damage is only 13 links with pads, 14 end connectors and 1 drive wheel. I appreciate the favour, and I'll send in an order to give you a reason to type out my mailing address again. On that note, is the Legend Centurion mark V set to be paired with the Tamiya mark III set to create a Canadian version?

Cheers everyone
Mike

Yes indeed!
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 06:07 PM UTC
Paul,
The order was sent just moments ago. Thanks! Geez, if everybody who helped me owned model businesses, I'd be out on my a@@, surrounded by box art of tanks and bottles of glue held up by styrofoam!
I've got the coffee on, and two days to myself to get this project back on.

And an Iwata HP-C airbrush on the way as an early birthday present from Niner Domestic
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 08:36 PM UTC

D'Oh! And you still stopped to take a photo! I'd be frantically trying to get all the pieces out of the CA before it started to cure! I've got some spare links too, but no extra sprockets. Maybe see you at coffee next week?
I've spilled the CA accellerant before, but at least it evaporates fast! (and smells nice, too!)

Jim
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
The order was sent just moments ago. Thanks! Geez, if everybody who helped me owned model businesses, I'd be out on my a@@, surrounded by box art of tanks and bottles of glue held up by styrofoam!
I've got the coffee on, and two days to myself to get this project back on.

And an Iwata HP-C airbrush on the way as an early birthday present from Niner Domestic

Order processed. Lucky you! You got my last MkV. Time to reorder.
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
Gents, I've failed to remove any of the days- old cured CA glue. Even a 12 hour soak in a bowl of pure acetone did nothing, perhaps super-thin glue is of a different composition. Regardless, all parts visible in the initial picture are scrap. Unfortunately, Paul, that includes the spades.
Jim, the glue was dry before I took the picture- that was after roughly ten minutes
I've ordered another ARVL because, hey- I'm an army mechanic.
As for my Bucket Bonanza entry, I am currently assembling a Canadian M113 Fitter... down but not out!
Sucker for punishment,
Mike
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 10:28 AM UTC
Maybe there should be a Forum topic on Modeling Horror Stories. We'd all be sitting around our computers at night with the lightsoff sanding roadwheels and reading each others stories.

I'd say one of my worst moments was one of my first times using an airbrush (the old bottom of the line Badger). I was painting a 1/72 Airfix Ki 46 Dinah. I think hair had landed on one of the horizontal stabilizers and I decided to wipe the already dried paint off with some thinner. I didn't have regular thinner around but I did have a bottle Floquil Dio-Sol. That took the paint off as well as all the detail on the piece. Essentially, it melted the surface of the piece. My fingerprint was even left on the surface.
 _GOTOTOP