Hosted by Richard S.
T2K 2005 questions
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC
I just signed up for the T2K 2005 campaign I just wanted to be sure on the campaign guidelines Is it just an unmodified equipment/ slightly modified type of campaign? Or is it pretty much an anything goes type?

For example I am thinking of building a hetzer that was a runner down at the Ft Knox armor museum that is being used in a Kentucky militia Or would that not be ok?

I am thinking of getting the Tamiya T55 and trying to come up with a story on it's use with a class C reserve unit from the USSR
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 03:48 PM UTC
Just about anything goes in T2K. Have fun and run with it.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 05:21 PM UTC
Well, it is really up to you.

Each year we try to come up with some sort of guideline (I use the term loosly) to help people focus, but it is not a written in stone thing. If you want to run with what the guidelines are, have it run something like this:

1st, answer what is left of Ft. Knox and why. Most cities and military installations were nuked...if Knox is left in any condition, explain why.

2nd, running with the above, you could explain which regular unit is left, what their mission was, and how they are accomplishing it right now. Even give an idea of how undermanned or pointless the mission is if you feel so motivated.

3rd, Work the vehicle in. However you want. Here is my example:

Ft. Knox got nuked early in the war when the opponents were still trying to use only small nukes. The museum actually survived intact, including the maintenance buildings, whereas the rest of the base was a nuclear wasteland.

The 200th MP Company is all that is left to defend the base's resources from local warlords. The civilian govt broke with the military and are traitors, so local govt officials are not to be trusted. There may also still be gold left on the base sight somewhere, and it is the duty of the unit to defend it to the last soldier. (also, if found, it would pay to get the unit...or select parts of it, taken to much more...comfortable, non-glow-in-the-dark, surroundings...)

Since the MP's need to patrol some areas that are very "HOT" they have been pressing into service any vehicle they can procure. There best "runner" so far is a old German WWII Hetzer, lined with lead (what could be scrounged) and given a very jury-rigged overpressure system. It is also easy to clean in the DeCon pit.

It has had it's main gun removed and replaced with a surplus Vulcan 30mm chain-gun...very effective crowd suppression. It has a special overpressure vent shaft to help keep the crew from being overwhelmed when firing the beast. Also, a remote control NVST AAMG has been added, for added protection that does not require leaving the sealed vehicle.

Hope that helps you out.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 12:32 AM UTC
Jaques
Thanks for the great idea regarding the Hetzer I love the idea of having the old 75mm gun replaced with a vulcan chain gun

Last night I asked Alpenflage if he can get me an Academy M48A5 If he can I may do both the Hetzer and the M48A5 for the campaign

I remember playing this game in the mid-80's when I was in the Air Force I may get a book? on this just to get some background on what happened I am sure the comic book shop in Lancaster Pa has it
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 02:10 AM UTC
Glad that helped.

If you want the storyline ideas, without having to drop the $$$, you can look up a lot of the info on the internet. But if you need the book to comfort you in the middle of the long, cold, lonely night, then supporting your local book shop is a great idea. :-)

On a side note, I am going to do somthing along the lines of a largely unmodified T-54 in chinese markings defending a hole in the Great Wall...nothing too spectacular from a modified point of view, but I hope the story grabs people.

Another idea I have had is a simple dio of soldiers defending a clean water well...easily a scarce comodity. Or a grocery store with unspoiled food. Or a gas station with fuel left in its underground tanks...you get the idea.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 02:32 AM UTC
Questions:

How is the story portion supposed to work? Do we post our entire story on Armorama AS a post, or do we uploaded it to somewhere else, or do we email it to Armorama?

I'm wondering how someone can read -say- a 50- page story on the model (example, I haven't wrote anything yet) as a post, AND if 50 pages is going overboard.

Also, so we narrate it, or have dialogue like an actual fiction novel with he said/she said quotes?

So is there a limit as to how long one can tell the story for their model (one to three pages single-spaced, or "sky's the limit?"

Thanks for the info.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
ok, you can post finished items in the thread at the top of the campaigns section (gunnie made it "Sticky"). This in only intended for FINISHED models with stories.

As for length, if you can write a 50 page story, we can all slog through it. There is no short or long for the story behind the model...write whatever moves you for as long as you can.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 06:58 AM UTC
Chad said-

Quoted Text

For example I am thinking of building a hetzer that was a runner down at the Ft Knox armor museum that is being used in a Kentucky militia Or would that not be ok?
I am thinking of getting the Tamiya T55 and trying to come up with a story on it's use with a class C reserve unit from the USSR

Either idea would be great...I'm partial to the Hetzer. Jacques storyline notes are a good basis to go from.

As Jacques said-

Quoted Text

1st, answer what is left of Ft. Knox and why. Most cities and military installations were nuked...if Knox is left in any condition, explain why.
2nd, running with the above, you could explain which regular unit is left, what their mission was, and how they are accomplishing it right now. Even give an idea of how undermanned or pointless the mission is if you feel so motivated.
3rd, Work the vehicle in. However you want.

As you put together your story, try to build a logical basis for it! An intact regular Army unit in Washington DC without NBC protection probably wouldn't work...UNLESS...there was a secret ABM/LaserABM system that shielded DC. My storys center around Michigan. I constructed a rationale as to WHY Detroit wasn't turned to glass.

Pete asked-

Quoted Text

Questions:
How is the story portion supposed to work? Do we post our entire story on Armorama AS a post, or do we uploaded it to somewhere else, or do we email it to Armorama?

Don't have an answer for this one yet. I'd like to see a spot where we can post them that isn't a regular forum. A great version of this would allow the stories to be viewed online OR downloaded.

Quoted Text

I'm wondering how someone can read -say- a 50- page story on the model (example, I haven't wrote anything yet) as a post, AND if 50 pages is going overboard.

50 pages overboard?? I think (just my opinion here) that you can write a paragraph, 3 ppages, or the Great T2K05 Novel!! GIB's T2K story runs 130 pages or so, others have explained theirs with a sentence or two. IMHO it is your call. If someone wants to take the time to read a 50 pager, they can, if not then they skip it! As a summary, I guess I'd like to see at least a couple of sentences from all entrants to give the context of their build! Again, just my opinion!

Quoted Text

AIso, so we narrate it, or have dialogue like an actual fiction novel with he said/she said quotes? So is there a limit as to how long one can tell the story for their model (one to three pages single-spaced, or "sky's the limit?"

I'd think its' your call Pete!

Speaking for myself, I REALLY love the story aspect of this campaign! It gives it life, provides context and just makes it a bit more unusual and fun!

As always- these are just my opinions...

Jim
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the answers . I have, but still have to read GIB's T2K story.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
I like the idea of this campaign, but dont know the back ground. I have heard of the book / game but not seen either.
I will check the web but can anyone give me a brief discription of the story?

Ciao
Luciano
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 11:55 AM UTC
Littorio,

If you'd like some great background material email me at-

jimnsfsc AT comcast DOT net

I'll forward GIB's incredible T2K storyline from the first campaign. Its' a biggie (1.5Mb, 130 pages), but gives a great storyline to go on!

Jim
 _GOTOTOP