_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Wheels turned
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 09:59 AM UTC
Here's one I am sure you guys will know the answer to. I've built Tamiya's jeep kit afew months back and I am working on another one I want to use in a diorama. (My first in about 20 years) I want to have the front wheels on the jeep turned, what is the best way to do this? I am sure I'll will have many more questions before this project is completed.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:04 PM UTC
Ron;
No big deal here, just place the chassis on a flat surface, then cut the axle both end at the angle youŽd like to turn (both to the same side), then rotate and glue it back.
I donŽt know how to explain ti to you(my english isnŽt good enough!) but I can search some draw and send it to you later.
Cheers!
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 03:01 AM UTC
Thanks Paulo, I'll check it out tonight and get back to you if I have any questions.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 07:25 AM UTC
YouŽre welcome, feel free for asking me anything, if I could help IŽll be satisfied.
HTH
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 02:23 AM UTC
Okay Paulo, I check out the under carriage of the jeep lastnight, if I cut the axle at an angle to make the wheels turn out. What about the steering arms? Do I need to fabricate new ones?

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 01:07 PM UTC
I just finished that kit. I didn't turn the wheels, but if you do, the steering arms should be fine. The's if we're talking about the same thing.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
CF,
I might not be calling them by the right name, but when the front wheels turn left or right, these are what make them turn. And if the front wheels are turned these rods would change position too. Then again maybe they don't, i'm confused and my head hurts.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:08 AM UTC
I think you are talking about the arms that are connected by the tie-rod, and those would turn with the wheels. I don't know enough about real vehicles to know the proper name.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay Paulo, I check out the under carriage of the jeep lastnight, if I cut the axle at an angle to make the wheels turn out. What about the steering arms? Do I need to fabricate new ones?

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh

Don't mean to jump in here, but yes Ron, you'll have to fabricate new tie-rods when you position the wheels...

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 05:29 AM UTC
Gunnie,
That's what I thought too. Any ideas on what I could use to fabricate them. I was thinking (and I hurt myself doing it too) maybe a stiff wire like used for paper clips. I could cut it and bend it to the shape I needed.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie,
That's what I thought too. Any ideas on what I could use to fabricate them. I was thinking (and I hurt myself doing it too) maybe a stiff wire like used for paper clips. I could cut it and bend it to the shape I needed.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh

Actually (it hurts me to think too ) I'd recommend .025" styrene rod instead of the paper clip. It's easier to work with. A pack only goes for about $1.60 - and you'll use it on other projects.

If you really wanna go have some fun - cut a length of .020" solder to the right side. Roll it under a metal ruler to flatten / straighten it out. Crimp the ends with a pair of needle-nose pliers so that you can attach the flat surface to the drag-arms off each brake drum. Finish off with two Grandt Line or white glue bolts and go have a beer. The solder is easy to work with too.

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 09:08 PM UTC
Thanks Gunnie, I'll give it a try this weekend. After working 14 days straight, it will be nice having this weekend off, and get sometime at my workbench.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
 _GOTOTOP