Hosted by Richard S.
Sherman III Sherbrooke Fusiliers
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 03:43 AM UTC
Here's my first entry for Canuck Steel - Sherman III of the Sherbrooke Fusiliers as it would have been on D-Day. The base kit was Acaademy's M4A2 US Marines, with a new upper hull, nose and turret. The tracks are from Tamiya's M4early and decals from the spares box and Accurate Armour, the figure is Tamiya. I could not trace any accurate CT number or shipping mark, so I left off the census number and added a made-up loading number.

BTW - the heavy black wash just visible around some parts of the vehicle is meant to represent the 'Bostik' sealant used to seal gaps that were too small or oddly-shaped for the rubberised fabric.
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hello Dave,
Yours is the first completed kit we've seen for the build. Well done. Looking forward to your other entries.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 05:48 AM UTC
Thanks Paul, already done the turret for the Fort Garry Horse Sherman 1c - with scratchbuilt loaders hatch.
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 08:47 PM UTC
That looks smart Dave. I take it you tracked down some pics of the cowl supports?
It's stuff like that that puts me off doing an actual D-Day type wade-in... need a smiley that represents 'chicken' I think!
Nice oneC[ ]
MC
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC
A1 Dave.
Keep them comin'.
Jim
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks smart Dave. I take it you tracked down some pics of the cowl supports?
It's stuff like that that puts me off doing an actual D-Day type wade-in... need a smiley that represents 'chicken' I think!
Nice oneC[ ]
MC

The cords I've seen in some pics don't appear in any of Normandy tanks, perhaps it was a USMC only addition? The support are in some pics and were just scraps of PE fret.

Thanks for the comments guys. Straight forward conversion MC, once I'd got bits from 3 different manufacturers to fit together!
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
Looks like your a speed demon mate. Nothing like some canadian armour in the morning...MMMM I've got a few questions for you. The Applique armour on the hull sides. I have never seen that configuration before. Normaly the Left side rear plate is much further back to cover the sponson ammo bin and there is usually only one mounted on the RHS (drivers) at the front as there is only one ammo bin there. The tracks also look a bit on the silver side..Could just be the pics or my eyes but you might want to get in there with the airbrush and spray in some buff and other ground colours to mix it up a bit and blend them all together. Just my 2 cents worth mate I htink your doing a great job and I cant wait to see more Canuck goodies coming from you. Keep up the great work
Cheers,
B
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hope I've made good use of the bit's you sent me Bryan!! The plates I could be wrong on, the pic I used as a referrence was a bit dark & blurred! The tracks are actually a dull silver/grey with drybrushed dust on them.
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
Yes I think the plates are in the wrong spots but thats ok..we all make simple mistakes..I know i sure as heck do. The tracks you have there are T48's and are actually Rubber cheverons The only metal parts are are the end connectors. No worries though.
Cheers,
Bryan
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,
The tracks you have there are T48's and are actually Rubber cheverons The only metal parts are are the end connectors. No worries though.
Cheers,
Bryan

I've got it right on the 1c I'm working on now - depends on the reference pic, this one deffinitely looks like rubber so that's how I've painted them.
cdnkit
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
I have also build a Sherman from the Sherbrooke Fusiliers a few months ago, but mine is a Sherman V

DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 08:53 AM UTC
Looks good Luc ! I really did those applique plates wrong didn't I!!
I really wish I had somewhere to use an airbrush (the dining room isn't the best place but it's where I have to work) - it'd be a lot easier to get the graduated dust/weathering that I see on everybody elses tanks. The old paintbrush has served me well but it just doesn't have the scope that the airbrush has.
cdnkit
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Dave,
Can i tell you that i don't have an airbrush.. I know, I know i'm out of the crowd, but all my kits are made using paintbrush and i'm satisfied with the result.
Later
Luc
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 05:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,
Can i tell you that i don't have an airbrush.. I know, I know i'm out of the crowd, but all my kits are made using paintbrush and i'm satisfied with the result.
Later
Luc

I've never owned an airbrush Luc, the effect on you Shermie I would have sworn that you couldn't do that with a paintbrush!
Now I'm even more jealous!
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Straight forward conversion MC, once I'd got bits from 3 different manufacturers to fit together!

oh, piece of p**s then?! :-)
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Straight forward conversion MC, once I'd got bits from 3 different manufacturers to fit together!

oh, piece of p**s then?! :-)

The nose, upper hull and turret were all from different makers - it took about two hours to get them all to meet up !! Not as bad as some single-source kits I've made though.
 _GOTOTOP