_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Chalk & Cheese
arawata
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:06 AM UTC
I'm still new to armour modelling and have mostly been building pre-WWII tanks. I like the odd designs of the early stuff. Recently I have tried a couple of modern armour kits and now I like the way the combinations look on my display shelves - an FT-17 beside an M1A1, an A7V beside a Leo 2A5, a Mark IV Male beside a Challenger, a SOMUA beside a Le Clerc. I haven't done all these combinations yet but I look forward to the day I have my own little tank museum in miniature

Andrew
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:11 AM UTC
Now you just need to build some from the middle ground. M4 Sherman, T34, Panzer,...lol

But I can't help but ask "chalk & cheese" ??? :-)
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:16 AM UTC
Welcome to the wonderfull world of armor modeling.
There is a great bunch of guys here with all sorts of information rattling around in their brains. If you need any info I am sure someone here will have the answer or know where to look. Remember, modeling is FUN!

arawata
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:56 AM UTC
"Chalk & Cheese" is an expression indicating things that are completely different. As in "an FT-17 is as like an M1A1 as chalk is like cheese".
I still consider myself an "assembler" more than a modeller, but as my skills improve (hey, I'm already collecting a stash of unbuilt kits - isn't shopping the first skill of a true modeller!) I hope to scratchbuild a few projects I have in mind, such as the odd-ball "Schofield Tank" (from my homeland of New Zealand).
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
I kinda had a feeling it was something like that...like apples and oranges!

If you have any questions about "scratchbuilding", don't forget to ask in the "Scratchbuilding Talk" section hosted and moderated by "janvdc" and our illustrious leader "staff"...aka Jim.
You'll get the best responces there.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:30 AM UTC
A very warm welcome to Armorama.com Andrew. Hang out with us for a bit and you'll find out you stumbled upon a gem of a site!
And a ' rule of thumb' here is, (I believe) " The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
:-)

Tread.

BTW, the first time I heard that qoute it was by my rifle range instructor at Parris Island.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A very warm welcome to Armorama.com Andrew. Hang out with us for a bit and you'll find out you stumbled upon a gem of a site!
And a ' rule of thumb' here is, (I believe) " The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"

Tread.

BTW, the first time I heard that qoute it was by my rifle range instructor at Parris Island.

Besides that I'd like to say that if you interested in unusual modelling subjets I could provide you with some stuff form the Brazilian army, we use so interesting stuff (the kind you like) as the Renault F 17, etc...
Cheers! And Welcome to Armorama, the best modelling site on the net
 _GOTOTOP