_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Advice please....
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 08:49 AM UTC
How do you guys take care of the holes (i guess they come from the molding process) that you find on the underside of some tanks?
I'm currently working on a Panther , but a couple of other tanks from Tamiya have holes also.
I don't know if this is related to the company that makes the models or do all tank models have those holes?

You know when I ask the question in my head it sounds so much more coherent than when I type it
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 08:54 AM UTC
Gotcha Game! The hole in Tamiya's kits is from when they used to be "motorized". Yep, used to put motors in em, turn em on and watch em run straight (if you were so lucky) into a wall or table leg...

Anyway, one easy thing I do is tape the holes from the inside of the hull. From the outside, fill the holes with putty (Squadrons, or Testors, Model Masters...etc) when dry sand smooth, and viola! Remove tape too if you wish.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 08:57 AM UTC
Game, if you are talking about the slots that are in the bottom of Tamiya's Panther kit, these I believe are there for the motorized features. The on and off switch. I would use a good plastic putty filler, than just sand. Or just leave them, unless the tank will be lying on it's side or upside down no one will see them.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:01 AM UTC
Thanks guys.
I thought about the taping from the inside and then filling the holes.
I wasn't sure how well that would work, but looks like it will.
I did think about just leaving the holes also, but I figured if I'm going to take the time to put it together I should do all of it.
Easy and cheap, my favorite combo
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:51 AM UTC
Tamiya is nice enough to put big flat pieces of plastic as their sprue lettering/numbering tabs. I cut these to fit the holes as best as possible, glue in place then add a little filler. Smaller, round holes might use just filler or a piece of round sprue. At the very least, glue a piece of plastic to the inside of the hole and fill from the outside.
 _GOTOTOP