Hosted by Darren Baker
Verlinden 1:15th Resin Tiger I
jbuckley
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 10:21 AM UTC
Has anyone had experience of this kit? I dont think its available now, but you can still pick one up from dealers.

How accurate is it?
Can 1:16th upgrades be used on it without noticing the scale difference?
Is it easy to build?

Cheers Guys
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 05:24 AM UTC
Among the 1/15 Resin kits produced by VP, I believe that the Tiger I faced fewer of the many criticisms. However, given the ease of construction of the 1/16 Tamiya Tiger I, I'm sure you'll find lots of people unloading their resin kits. Try a posting over on Missing-lynx's Axis discussion page. A gentleman named Dave Nickels has lots of experience with the large resin kits.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC
Hi John,
I got this kit in 1994,(£180), and I can't remember any problems building it, though slotting the guide horns on the track links was a labour of love!!, and this was the first resin kit I built
As for being accurate,it's pretty well spot on,the 1/16 add ons should be ok.
I used poly filler fine for the zimmerit,shaped with a coping saw blade.
Unfortunately while air brushing the final colour on the turret roof my airbrush went pear shaped,and the project got shelved,UNTILL NOW I've got a new ab and compressor,so she's back on the must do list along with the 1/16 r/c early tiger .
When I sus out how to post some pics I'll stick some of this baby on.
Andy
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 02:17 AM UTC
I recently swapped this kit off since I had a Tamiya Tiger I (static).

While the kit is certainly buildable, you'll find the tracks and roadwheels to be the trouble spots. Each individual roadwheel is halved, so each complete wheel takes 4 halves. Same with the drive sprocket and idler, each wheel is halved. The tracks are cast on blocks, so removal and cleanup of each link is tedious to say the least.

As for 1/16 and 1/15, I owned both kits at the same time for a short while, and compared parts. There is a noticeable difference, in fact, the Tamiya turret actually fit inside of the Verlinden turret. I had intended to use parts from the Verlinden kit to get a late-war Tiger using the Tamiya kit. I found that I couldn't mix and match the parts without it looking goofy.

If you're looking for a good late Tiger in large scale, I'd recommend picking up a Tamiya Tiger from EvilBay (some are actually very affordable!) and then checking out BackYard Armor's late Tiger conversion kit.

If you're content to have a mid-production Tiger, contact me and I'll send you a cast cupola and correct mantlet, since I have a couple of spares.

Jeff
Marseille
Visit this Community
Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:15 PM UTC
Here's one available

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiger-I-Verlinden-1-15-/281991424032?hash=item41a7ffa820:g:Z3wAAOSwgApXAaIr
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you're content to have a mid-production Tiger, contact me and I'll send you a cast cupola and correct mantlet, since I have a couple of spares.

You know, it's not quite that simple to do it correctly.

David
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:39 AM UTC
The thread is also about 11 years old...
mcevoyi
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hello said

Just my 2pence worth

I personally would buy one of the rc heng long tiger 1 off a well known website simply because the spares are unlimited ..and the is a huge selection of detail upgrade parts to be HD as well ..
and at he same time you would save a fortune ,,even if you intention is to just build as static for the price it's a fab tiger 1
OR the equally impressive hobby boss 1/16 tiger ..again Al, the rc spares and upgrade detail parts fit like a glove ...
iain
mangusta
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:43 AM UTC
Im currently building one now and enjoying it.The kit has very nice surface texture and has some nice sharp details,like the steel wheels(some bad ones too the figures bad so i have replaced it with a kirin whittman one)…You must test fit everything,and make sure the hull plates etc are square.There will be a lot of fiddling and filling but the result is more like the real thing…unlike stuff designed perfect.Im building it out of the box but scratch building fenders,bins etc from litho plate,and have used a jeff shun mg-34,with dmc(i think)brass 8x57 rounds with etch clips.Im new to this site ,ill try and put a few pics up soon,cheers Mark.
sassgrunt
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 - 01:34 PM UTC
Here's another thing you might want to consider regarding this kit. Although the scale is too large to cross-kit much with a 1/16 Tiger, the parts work very well with a 1/15 Bandai Tiger I. The Bandai kit has the early rubber-rimmed roadwheels, while the VLS kit has the later steel wheels. But, the resin details on the VLS kit are SO much better than what the Bandai kit gives you; it might be worth considering using the (early) hull and running gear from the Bandai and everything else from the VLS kit. It will still take a lot of ingenuity to make everything work together, but you'll have something unique when completed!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 - 03:08 PM UTC
If the price and the size are good for you, DON'T pass up on it.

I normally build in 1/16 scale but I did build a 1/15 Bandai Tiger I (and have others in that scale too) and for it's size you'll be very happy.

And for modeling purposes I would stay away from that HL offering. I'm pretty sure you would be totally disappointed in that one as you'd have to disassemble it first and make a bunch of corrections.

Jeff
mangusta
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 01:06 AM UTC
managed to load a few i-phone pics...please click on the photos icon as i dont know how to movem,cheers Mark.
mangusta
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 10:44 AM UTC
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/30365/tiger_35.jpg
mangusta
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 10:45 AM UTC
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/440521https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/440519https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/440517
Removed by original poster on 04/15/16 - 23:55:20 (GMT).
mangusta
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hi John,another way around the late tiger thing would be to use the tamiya or hobby boss kit along with steel wheels,cupola etc(theres 2 in the kit) from the trumpeter 2in 1 kit..you may be able to take a mould from them…Also DONT pay to much for the verlinden kit.. Please click on the photo box icon,as theres pics of the verlinden kit in progress(theres a tamiya tiger 2 there as well),i still can't work out how to get images into this forum.
 _GOTOTOP