_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Covenator, I seem to remember...
CrazyIvan
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
about 15 years ago did`ent some farmer "dig up" a Covenator in the south of England (Cambridgeshire rings a bell).
I seem to remember a lot of excitement at the time about this find and it even made the national papers. Unfortunately, this happened about the same time i came "out of the loop" so to speak and took a 14 year rest from modelling and AFV`s.
Something jogged my memory of this event the other day and i began to wonder whatever happened to this find, is someone painstakingly re building it or did it turn out to be a pile of scrap.
Funny how the strangest things come back to you.
Shermaniac
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 11:24 AM UTC
There is a very good Covenanter at Bovington Tank Museum, Dorset which I took lots of pictures of last weekend during South West Expo.

The vehicle is in superbe condition and can be photographed easily within WWII Hall.

Nick61
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 04:44 AM UTC
Greetings All

Further to my good friend Alan's comments (photographing a non-Sherman AFV ) above I have found the following.
The Covenator a Mk III was found on a farm in Surrey in 1983 much to the surprise of George Forty and David Fletcher who were expecting a Ram as the area was used by the Canadians in WW2.

It's original number T23140 identifies it as a Leyland built vehicle and other surviving markings show it to have belonged to the 13/18th Hussars from at least October 1942 when the unit transferred from the 9th Armoured division to the 79th Armoured division until March 1943 when they converted to Valentine DD tanks.

Following it's recovery it was renovated by No18 Base Workshops at Bovington, including replacing the missing gun barrel, before being put on display in the tank museum and photographed by Alan

HTH

Nick
CrazyIvan
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 12:23 AM UTC
Thanks for the feedback. Like i said, i was out of the loop while the Covenators situation developed. and as it would have been built local to me ( i don`t live far from Leyland Vehicles), i was interested in knowing what became of it.
Nice to know it all ended well.

_GOTOTOP