Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC
Here´s my entry, hope you like it...

The Story...
"Protecting the Copper Mine"

WWIII affected many countries, and one of them was Chile. With lots of military hardware aqcuired from the Soviet Union, the Republic of Peru launched a massive invasion to grab the northern regions of their southern neighbour.
With a big amount of the Chilean Armed Forces commited in support of Allied military in the fight against communist forces in Panama Canal, Mexico and Australia, the initial assault of the Peruvian Army (supported by the local communist guerrilla) was thought a big success.
But the Chilean Military wasn´t defeated...after a long and costly battle, that lasted almost 3 years, the Chilean Army, Navy and the Air Force honored their motto´s "Always Victorious, Never Defeated" & "Win or Die", pushed the peruvians away and destroyed most of the communist guerrilla forces.
After the conflict, the Chilean Army had to be stretched in the protection of all working industrial premises along the country, take care of border control, police duties in the cities and county and so on. When international trade with industrialized nations stopped, the panic of the people growed around South America since the nuclear exchange between NATO and Soviet Union, that fact treatened the very foundations of the relatively untouched chilean society: thousands of refugees, marauders and ex-soldiers of the defeated Peruvian Army, fleeing crowds running away from the Argentina-Brasil conflict, and reborn communist guerrilla, flooded the almost intact chilean land...

In this dark and apocaliptic world, we found a single M41A1(CH) light tank and a few soldiers protecting the entrance of a copper mine, against ex-peruvian army renegades and local marauders. Left alone in the middle of the dryest desert of the world, with only 400 liters of diesel fuel and little supplies of water and food, this soldiers of the Armored Cavalry Regiment "Granaderos" (Grenadiers), even in the worst conditions, are still committed to their oath to defend their country at all costs...

The Tank...
M41A1 ECH ("Ejercito de CHile", Chilean Army)

During early 90´s, the Chilean Army started a huge modernization program to enhance their 100 ageing Walker Bulldog light tanks, to make them able to counter the danger of newly acquired peruvian T-55 and T-62 MBT supplied to them by the Soviet Union.

Following the signature of a mutual defense treaty with the USA and EU members (foreseeing a possible but not really sure conflict with Peru and Soviet presence in South America supporting communist guerrilla), and with the great threat of possible Soviet expansion around the world, the then Chilean President announced the biggest weapons aqcuisition in chilean army history. Included in the Allied Assistance Program, Chile received 100 ex-american M1A1 Abrams MBT, 200 M2 Bradley IFV and 100 M109A1 SPH; 280 ex-german Leopard 1A1A1 & 800 M113G APC; 48 AH-1S Cobra attack helicopters and other extremely valuable military items...

With most of this new equipment arriving between 1995 and 1996, to fill the gap with the soviet equiped Peruvian Army, a flash modernization program commenced with the aim to modernize the existing assets, until the new hardware were available. Some of the modifications included in the M41A1 ECH Modernization Program:
- Replace the old gas engine with a new Caterpillar diesel, new transmission and improved suspension system.
- Improved fire control system, with indigenously developed Thermal Intensifier Camera and computerized ballistic calculator. New radios, GPS and other electronic equipment.
- Change of the old 76mm gun barrel, to make the main gun able to fire newly developed SABOT/HEAT ammunition. That ammo made the old Bulldog able to destroy the front plate of most MBT´s, even the new Soviet made T-72 and T-80.

Since the start of WWIII, most of the new military hardware were involved in protection of very important international strategic facilities (like the Panama Canal) and committed in support of US Army in operations in Korea, Alaska and Australia. In that moment the modernization program proved it´ value, since the M41 carried the weight of the initial defense, then the counter offensive and finaly, the victory of Chilean Army against their invader enemy. After the war, the missions for those old vehicles ranged from protection of industrial facilities along the country to riot control in border areas. Some of the Bulldogs were destroyed in vicious urban fights against communist guerrilla, others were later found as graves of heroic soldiers left alone defending forgotten industrial facilities. Some of the few remaining after the Pact of Zurich-Peace Agreement in 2032, were placed as monuments in honor to the gallantry displayed for those forgotten and never enough appreciated defenders of the motherland, in the most difficult times for the nation. Our people will always remember them with fondeness and respect, the Twilight Knights and their noble machines....

The Images...

M41A1 ECH, ACR "Granaderos" (Grenadiers), Chilean Army, October 26th 2006.
Atacama Desert, near "El Salvador" (The Savior) Copper Mine

(Note of the Autor: The last pic shows the remainings of a road sign that signaled where was the entrance to the copper mine, I give you the rest to your imagination.... )

Many thanks to Jaster to supply me with GI Beregovoy compendium of T2K 2000 Campaign, was a really big help to write the best possible story (¡in English!) I could, whitout knowing a thing of this role playing game before...Sorry about the spelling and grammar mistakes, also.

Please be kind with your comments, it´s my first dio and backstory for something like this ever....:-) :-) :-)
Best Regards
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 02:15 PM UTC
¿Opinions?
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Armorama: 356 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:18 PM UTC
Klaus! I think it makes much more sense now without that large street sign holder blocking the tank's direction.

One of the things that I prolly would have done differantly would be to mask off the base and leave the ground work color just on the ground and not on the base. The only reason that I say that is because you have texture the ground, then all of a sudden its smooth, which is your base. So, basically the story stops at the texture. Know what I mean? I know the look that you went for and you carried that out well bringing out the dust onto the base, but there's just something about the nice look of stained wood border that makes the ground work stand out. I wouldn't change it now, the story is complete.

The reading is good too! It kept me reading more, nice work. Are you going to write books in the future? I wish that I could speak two languages as you do. I think your english is fine!

What's the next project?
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 09:29 AM UTC
Thanks EasyOff, for the next project I´ll follow your advice about the base
About the story, glad you enjoyed it! It´s most fulfilling to me that at least some other person like what I do....maybe now that I´m in recovery from the accident I´ll write some more ideas, but books man, those are major words...maybe after my retirement from the Navy :-) :-) :-)
As I said in the thread of the dio, this is my first attempt to make something really different, like a diorama, and more if you considered it´s a what if....
Next project:
1.- Finish my entry for the "By the Book" campaign, I will include some of my alredy done models, it will be an scene of Clancy´s "Red Storm Rising", that´s a major challenge to me (many kits and figures, ground, buildings..).
2.- Another T2K entry, I have 4 more alredy finished kits (M1A, M2 Bradley, M966 Hummer Tow-Chilean Army) to place in another T2K style dioramas.... I´m alredy in love with the T2K subject
Thanks again, best regards
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 10:14 AM UTC
Klaus

The story is great,it keep me reading as well.The build looks good too.

Jim
dexter059
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Klaus

The story is great,it keep me reading as well.The build looks good too.

Jim

Thanks Dodge!
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hey Klaus,

I love the diorama. Specially the blending of the colours from the underground to the model.
The soldiers look tired, but alert! Great story also!

Paul
 _GOTOTOP