_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
DML's M4A3E8
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:06 AM UTC
Any words from the "crew" on this kit? Does it need to be back dated for a WWII tank? I was looking at buying this kit today for another song and dance...lol...but was not sure of it???
Looking to expand the Sherm collection.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:17 AM UTC
Ken - I've got DML's WW II and Korean War Easy Eight model kits. I like them both, and the detail differences included in them are minor. Good buy in my opinion - especially the Korean War 'Rice's Red Devils' decal option!

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and the detail differences included in them are minor.
Gunnie

Gunnie, what ARE the differences, I lack any hard references for a side by side comparison.
TIA
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:35 AM UTC
Ken the Korean version has the T80 track links which can be used for a late WW2 version Other than that I don't believe there's any difference
Chad
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
Be advised there are 3 boxings of this kit: the original with the Italeri lower hull which required some removal of the VVSS mounts; a resin corrected hull (box has a sticker marked "Easy resin hull"); and the final version with a corrected plastic hull. I have the last two boxing of this kit. A very nice kit.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 07:12 AM UTC
Okay Ken - you got me to walk three feet to the Ready Rack to crack open both kits - glad I had them here at home!

I have DML #9009X - which is the later release of the Korean War Easy Eight with the replacement resin hull. The original iteration of this kit (and the original hull is still provided with it) has mounting plates for the VVS Suspension molded on it. It's a reuse of other M4 kits. To model the HVSS - DML wanted you to cut away this detail and mount the HVSS components with a small diagram and measurements for locating the parts. Many modelers objected to this - naturally - as it was difficult to line up the suspension and return rollers properly. DML came out with an "X" release of this kit that includes a resin lower hull with locating points for the HVSS Suspension and return rollers marked for the modeler.

I already mentioned the decal change to reflect "Casey" a tank assigned to 'Rice's Red Devils' during the Korean War. General Zod already mentioned the change to the T-80 individual track links. The WW II version has T-66 single-pin track links.

Sprue A in both kits is identical - and the same parts called out as not to be used with the kit buildup are the same in both releases.

Sprue / Part B is the lower hull pan - NOTE the same problem exists for DML # 9010 the WW II HVSS variant as described above. Mine does not have the resin lower hull replacement for this kit. I believe there was a DML #9010X that came out to fix this - but I do not have the model in my collection.

Sprue C is identical in both kits. These are Road Wheels and HVSS parts. These is an additional "C" Sprue that carries Drive Covers and Fenders. In the Korean War (#9009X) version all the parts are used. In the WW II (#9010) version, the fender parts aren't used but provided.

Sprue D is identical in both kits - carrying the Turret assembly. All parts are used in both kits. Sprue E is only found in the Korean War version - this carries the T-80 track links. There is no Sprue E in the WW II version.

Sprue F is only found in the WW II kit - carrying the sand skirts and an additional armor plates for the front glacis area and turret sides. This is not included in the Korean War version.

Hopefully this give you a better idea of the minor differences of details provided in the two DML Easy Eight kits.

Gunnie

Sprue G is only found in the WW II kit - this carrying the T-66 track links.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 07:30 AM UTC
Thank you very much guys! I see another version for the collection! :-)
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 09:42 AM UTC
Rob and Gunnie
I just took a look at my easy 8. It is the Shanghai Dragon #6811. The directions show removing the suspension mounts, but there aren't any on the hull that I have. Just locating holes. I this a rerelease of the last DML kit version with plastic instead of resin hull?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob and Gunnie
I just took a look at my easy 8. It is the Shanghai Dragon #6811. The directions show removing the suspension mounts, but there aren't any on the hull that I have. Just locating holes. I this a rerelease of the last DML kit version with plastic instead of resin hull?

Yep - I think so. I heard that Shanghai Dragon might re-release the original kit - and replace the replacement resin hull with an injection molded plastic one, but I never saw the kit to buy it.

What was that Sabot said about a commercial advertising another commerical

Gunnie
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 10:34 AM UTC
Thanks, Gunnie,
I hate cutting and moving parts. I guess DML has a habit of doing their kits that way. You have to remove the first return rollers on their StugIII A & B kits, and replace them in a more forward location. Not as bad as all suspension locations, but still a pain in the ass.
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rob and Gunnie

Yep - I think so. I heard that Shanghai Dragon might re-release the original kit - and replace the replacement resin hull with an injection molded plastic one, but I never saw the kit to buy it.

Yes, I have the Shanghai Dragon #6811 kit as well as the DML #9009X. The resin replacement hull has indeed been replaced by an injection molded one. You will notice on the plastic hull there are small raised lines to show where to mount the return rollers. The instructions still have not been changed and depict the original version with the Italeri Sherman lower hull.

BTW, if you look closely at the upper hull sprue (sprue "A"), you will see the numbers 250 and 288. These are the kit numbers for the Italeri M36B1 Jackson Tank Destroyer (#250) and the Italeri M4A3 Sherman with Calliope (#288).
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, if you look closely at the upper hull sprue (sprue "A"), you will see the numbers 250 and 288. These are the kit numbers for the Italeri M36B1 Jackson Tank Destroyer (#250) and the Italeri M4A3 Sherman with Calliope (#288).

Damn, Rob, I didn't even notice that! The way these companies mix, match and marry their molds, it's almost incestuous.
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:47 AM UTC
Yep, the Italeri Sherman A3 upper hull sprue and Sherman VVSS running gear sprue have more guest appearances in various kits than they do together (only 4 together: M4A2 Jumbo, M36B1, M4A3 Calliope, USMC M4).
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 05:11 PM UTC
Geeze I'm so confused!!

I think it's high time that at least one of these companies gets on the ball and acutualy remakes the molds for a "real" version of the lovable M4!!! It's funny what they do with each other's kits. AArrgghh

Thanks again guys...I even more confused...I think I'll go get it anyway and see what happens.
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 08:41 PM UTC
Don't be so harsh Ken. There is nothing wrong the Italeri hull and suspension so if it helps DML to produce more variants because of the cheaper costs, then I'm all for it. We already mentioned how many different Italeri kits use the Sherman suspension. Be different if they used a bad kit's part or just rehashed the Italeri molds, but they did something completely different.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 08:53 PM UTC
I'll take your word for it Rob. Thanks for putting my "fears of a disasterous kit" aside. After I started reading the replies here, I was thinking "eeeeek!! what the &^*&%!!!. " No more.
Surprisingly, not a whole lot of info on the WWW for this kit.
Thanks again...another Sherm to ride again. :-)
 _GOTOTOP