_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
American Fireflies
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:41 AM UTC
Here is a site wich says they really existed http://freespace.virgin.net/shermanic.firefly/usnew.html
It does NOT have any pics of the real thing,just a bunch of officcial sounding words which may be true Until I see a pic I won't believe they existed Y'all be the judge for yourself
Chad
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 01:10 PM UTC
Chad,
I'm with you. I'll wait for the picture. Reading that made my head hurt.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 08:23 PM UTC
Well, I will give the author an A+ for his research. At the end of it, I asked myself "so what?" A purist argument on the subject to say the least.
DJ
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:28 AM UTC
Well, fireflys are little flying insects that are about .5 inches long, and at night their rear quarter lights up. Kind of a phosphorescant glow. I use to catch these all the time in.... Oh, wait! this is about
Quoted Text

armor

!!! Heh heh, sorry! I'll be more careful in the future...

YodaMan
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:57 AM UTC
You mean to tell me that after nearly sixty years this is just coming to light? For some reason I doubt it all. But...it's one of those things that just make you go "hmmmm".

Until a pic is shown, it'll remain like the Lochness of Shermania.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 09:31 PM UTC
Seriously now, what is a firefly, supposedly? I got the impression by the name that it was some kind of light, fast attack vehicle. I'm probably wrong, but that's why you ask questions.

YodaMan
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
A Firefly is a version of the Sherman tank thought to be used only by the British (UK) during WW2. It is the name for any British Sherman that has been upgunned with the 17 pound gun, one of the few tanks armed with a main gun powerful enough to take out Tigers and Panthers. The main gun was in such short supply that there was usually only enough for one Firefly per tank company. The current discussion is about whether or not American units were loaned Fireflies. (No pictoral proof yet)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 11:09 PM UTC
Rob--I do not doubt that one of the many WW II US independent tank battalions had Fireflys in training. I am dubious to say the least that they were employed in combat. Logistics in the form of ammunition alone would have precluded that one. Look at the other Brit equipment that we either used or copied: DD Shermans, Spitfire aircraft, landing craft. Like I said the author did some high power research. I hope he gets his PhD.
DJ
 _GOTOTOP