_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Rabbit's legs
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 07:43 AM UTC
All over the world, I saw cab drivers use all kinds of luckbringers hanging from their rear view mirror. There's rabbit's legs, mickey mouses, St Christopher medals, Holy Mary statuettes, the name of Allah in plastic. In China, I even saw a complete altar set up on top of the dashboard, including offerings and scent sticks...

Do tanks, AFV's and trucks have the same ? Who saw them ? Why are these things never in models or diorama's ?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC
Well, in photos, German WW II softskins often had horseshoes mounted on the fenders or other parts of the vehicle for good luck. Interestingly, they were all pointed down.

Growing up, my Grandma and I were working in the backyard one day, and she was hanging a horseshoe on the garage for good luck. I asked her about it - why did she point it up "U" -style. Grandma told me she hung it that way so all the luck wouldn't run out.

I guess the Germans never got that story...

Gunnie
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, in photos, German WW II softskins often had horseshoes mounted on the fenders or other parts of the vehicle for good luck. Interestingly, they were all pointed down.

Growing up, my Grandma and I were working in the backyard one day, and she was hanging a horseshoe on the garage for good luck. I asked her about it - why did she point it up "U" -style. Grandma told me she hung it that way so all the luck wouldn't run out.

I guess the Germans never got that story...

Gunnie

Gunnie, got the same story from my dad who has several horseshoes hanging above the door to his shop-all holding lots of luck!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:51 AM UTC
I do know of at least one builder out there does use the "good-luck" charms on his models. I think it is Bob Collignon. I believe he uses the horseshoe on all his afv's as sort of his trademark.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:27 PM UTC
Jan,
Rabbit's Legs? I think we call that good luck charm a "Rabbit's foot" (as it's ussually just the one) here in the States. An interesting little detail. Not sure how discernable this would be at 1/35. Now for your 1/15 scale projects it should be easier to tell that's what it is.

Jim

GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do know of at least one builder out there does use the "good-luck" charms on his models. I think it is Bob Collignon. I believe he uses the horseshoe on all his afv's as sort of his trademark.

Yep - I believe so too, those are fun to look for on the display tables. I have some "signature items" I like to add to my models too - like an upturned helmet with foil liners and straps, and a hand grenade put inside with a little brass ring. I like to do plain old wine bottles - for no other reason except that they're fun...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 01:09 AM UTC
If anyone has the Febuary, 2002 issue of Fine Scale Modeler, right there on the cover you'll the "horseshoe" trademark of Bob Collignon. It's on the gun mantlet...can't miss it.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 01:44 AM UTC
I don't believe in luck...
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm. Don't I remember a story about someone's 666th somewhere ? Only... there's a curse on all who dare to further reply to that tread...

Jan
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hmmm. Don't I remember a story about someone's 666th somewhere ? Only... there's a curse on all who dare to further reply to that tread...

Jan

Yeah - somebody send him a BOX of horseshoes!

Gunnie :-)
 _GOTOTOP