_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Panther G Question
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
I just wanted to show my complete lack of knowledge in this area with a stupid question...

I was at one of my favorite modelling stores and saw a Panther G model. I was thinking about Anders Heintz's quest for info on that tank and how difficult it seemed to be, but the question is what are the differences between an early version and a late version. Because Tamiya has a Panther G early version, shouldn't that be able to be used as a base for a modification to a late model.

A second and third quesition would be, how is that model good, bad, indifferent and is $30 a good price for it??
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC
Brian,
Try the following link for information on building the Panther G, both early and late versions.
http://missinglinks2.tripod.com/Panther.pdf
This seems like a pretty good article.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 01:45 AM UTC
Thanks Ron for the link, but I couldn't get it to work. I'll go to missinglinks myself and see if I can find, it's something about remote downloads it doesn't like.
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but the question is what are the differences between an early version and a late version. Because Tamiya has a Panther G early version, shouldn't that be able to be used as a base for a modification to a late model.
A second and third quesition would be, how is that model good, bad, indifferent and is $30 a good price for it??

The Tamiya Panther G's are all very nice models. I would say that for an early model, the easiest route is to just get the Tamiya early as it has more of what you need right out of the box. Then you can spend your time focusing on the short list of things that the kit needs to be truly dead on...

If you want to build a Mid or Late G Model, you might want to consider the Dragon Night Fighting Panther. This is one of my favorite kits ever... (mostly because you can get one for around $15-18) The kit is truly very nice. The number of corrections/modifications is also pretty small. In addition, it comes with many spare parts.

The price that you quote of $30 seems pretty fair for a Tamiya Panther G of any type.

Thanks,
Tim
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Ron for the link, but I couldn't get it to work. I'll go to missinglinks myself and see if I can find, it's something about remote downloads it doesn't like.

Brian,

Try right clicking on the link and "Save Target As...", then open open the downloaded .pdf file. You will also need Acrobat reader to open. http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html

Dave
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:15 AM UTC
I agree with Tim too (I checked out your 'Jag over at Roll Models' Kubelwagen contest Tim - nice work). I have a couple of the Tamiya Panther G's and I like them both. I paid well over $30 bucks for them - and they're worth it.

Gunnie
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
Brian, what Dave said. I just saw your reply and remembered that is what I had to do.
"save as" then the link. Sorry 'bout that
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thanks all! After I understood what I was to do I got it download fine!! But as a disclaimer German panzar is still out of my league. With looking at all of your guy's work, I'm eons away from results like yours!!! But because of Armorama I feel like I can approach the subject without getting sweaty...
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
Brian, remember this is supposed to be a hobby and as such is supposed to be fun.
Build what you like, if it looks like a Panther, that's what it is.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian, remember this is supposed to be a hobby and as such is supposed to be fun.
Build what you like, if it looks like a Panther, that's what it is.

Yeah I know it is supposed to be fun, part of the fun is trying relax...
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hey!!!!! Thats cool! I never knew that Missing Links existed. What other tweaks lists do they have out???? M4 Sherman, M3/5 Stuart, PZKW IV???
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey!!!!! Thats cool! I never knew that Missing Links existed. What other tweaks lists do they have out???? M4 Sherman, M3/5 Stuart, PZKW IV???

Well, it seems they're all a buzz about a Tweaks List for all current M1 Abrams MBT's model kits - that COULD really be interesting...

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC
I did the initial listing of all the M1/M1A1/M1A2 kits, detail sets and references for the tweaks list. I volunteered to do the write ups for the ancient Esci/AMT/Ertl M1 and M1A1 and the Academy M1A1 and the Eduard detail set for it. I worked with John Charvat and Matthew Malogorski on the project. It was basically completed about a month ago but was being put into an article format.
 _GOTOTOP