_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Humvee - M1114 in progress
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 07:07 AM UTC
Here is my somewhat ambitious project for the Humvee campaign. I am going all out converting Tamiya's M1046 (for the OIF parts and some other extra details) into an M1114 using Mig Productions kit. I am also looking for a cheap(er) set of MIG wheels and am waiting on a supplier to restock. I am adding parts from Blast Models weapons set (mainly front turret shield, smoke launchers, and weapons). Furthermore I am building the all-around turret armor from schematics that Epi provided me with (originally drawn up by SOPMOD1). Finally I will also be rummaging through my modern parts spares box and using parts going so generously by Joe Szczygielski (Mother).

If I get around to it, I want to turn this into my first dio. No plans on what it'll look like, but I do know I'll use Dragon's Modern Marines easily converted to Army guys and using sand given to me by Joe that came from Iraq.

Jeff
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 02:02 PM UTC
Dear Jeff
Look good for the beginning
Keep posting Progress pics.

BTW i used the same seats and for me they look pretty high to fit inside the cabin you need to really adjust the plastic part beneath them.

Good luck
Seb
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 09:52 PM UTC
Really? In what way; sanding the bottom of the seat or the seat "platform"? I figured I tackle the interior tonight...

Jeff
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:26 PM UTC
Jeff,
I have my seats mounted in mine. I was gonna work on it a little bit this weekend and post some pics by the end of the weekend. I did have to do a little surgery to get them to fit just right.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:37 PM UTC
Jeff, sorry to jack your thread, but I remembered I took a few shots a while back. Thought they might be of use to you. I will post more pictures in my own thread by the end of the weekend.

The top fits good over the seats and there is plenty of room between the top of the seats and the roof. I even put the turret ring from the Pro Art interior set and there is still room. I'll show pictures of that this weekend.

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:55 PM UTC
No worries, we'll call it the M1114 thread. Anyone building one can come on in, it'll be a party! :-) I was actually wondering if you'd post them, so that I can steal some of your ideas . To the other members reading this, feel free to comment on Pete's work here

I see you have the windshield frame attached. I haven't quite been able to get a good test fit to make sure I get the roof to overlap without having to angle the frame back a little. I can't tell from your pics but is the frame angled at all? Also what is in the back cargo area? Is that ammo rack there?

If you haven't done it yet. I recommend adding the left side vertical piece in the cargo area before adding the wall that goes between the rear seats and the cargo area. It sets the proper angle for attaching it. Of course I didn't see that and added the wall first; and while the vertical fit is fine (it does seem to affect the roof), you can see the gap in the third pic.

Jeff
ErikHagglund
Visit this Community
Uppsala, Sweden
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:07 PM UTC
Very good build up pictures you have there. The finish pictures will look very good
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
Jeff,
It does have a slight angle. I'll get a better shot of it tonight, as a matter of fact, there is more added since these pictures and I'll shoot them and load them up tonight as well.

Yes, those are ammo racks in the back. I had added them before I started thumbing throught the parts manual. They are mounted back there, just not quite in that way.

Here are the pages of the drivers and passenger seats.

I pull out some more pages that might help you out, like the rear cargo area. I've been trying to look for the parts manual or breakdown of the turret armor, but can't seem to find it.

Be back in a little while.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC
Thanks Pete. I've been going through Tpub.com in the M1114 manual getting images (instead of working...hehe its Friday, my boss isn't here, whatcha gonna do?). Its funny as I had those images of the seats on the computer at the same time that I'm seeing them here! Found some really good shots of the back but I'd definitely like to see what you have. Looked like the turret armor section was in Chapter 11 Special Purpose Bodies (Unit) Maintenance of the TM-9-2320-387-24-2 (man the government makes this stuff complicated!).

Jeff
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:50 PM UTC
Here is what I thought could help.

Yup, it's kind of slow here too.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
Thanks Pete, those are perfect.

Jeff
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 04:27 AM UTC
Dear All
@ Steeve as always nice documentation you are posting very usefull
@ Jeff ,there is a gap of 5mm between the top of the seat and the roof , I think it is too small for me on the pictures from Epi it seems that he also sand off the top of the seats, that is correct ??

Nice build both of you

Cheers and good night
seb
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 07:41 PM UTC
These are looking very cool! If only I had the money to buy the M1114

Nice progres both Jeff and Pete, keep us posted. And thanks for those manual pages Pete they will be useful, are they from your own source??
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 12:40 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments Rob. Well, I'm not Pete, but the manual they came from can be found here:

http://www.tpub.com/content/hummer/TM-9-2320-387-24-1
http://www.tpub.com/content/hummer/TM-9-2320-387-24-2/

I'll warn you, that there is a lot here, so I'd just go through it all to see. Try doing a keyword (ctrl+F) search for what you are looking for within the two documents. If you can't find something in particular, let me know and I'll give it a look through

Jeff
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 12:44 AM UTC
cheers Jeff, but ive already got it bookmarked. I did spend and afternoon doing printouts of useful stuff but its hard work It takes hours to find what you need.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 05:06 AM UTC
Jeff
Thank you very much for the link to the TM very usefull
Seb
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 10:48 PM UTC
Rob,
They are from the same manual that Jeff pointed out, but it is easier for me to get it than you guys. Not only do we have all the manuals here in our shop in paper, but we also get them on CD called ETM(Electronic Tech Manuals) is section gets the CD that goes witht he equipment they work on, i.e. AUTOMOTIVE SECTION has manuals for all the wheeled and tracked vehicles. I have all the manuals for all the radios, night vision, and anything dealing with the TOW and Dragon weopon system.

I gonna do some more work on my M1114 later, so i hope to have some new up to date pictures later.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 04:23 AM UTC
Arrg Epi
My kindgom for your library of TM
lucky you

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Seb
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:34 PM UTC
I havent been able to work on my 1114 for several months now but I had an extremely hard time getting all the doors to fit right|:( . apparently the curves of the doors dont match the frame pieces that go in between them. hope you have better luck than me.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 11:41 PM UTC
My test fits show that the doors fit reasonably well, plus I'm keeping at least two - probably three - open. That may be a decent solution to get back on track. My problem is that the seats are sitting fairly high (for which I'm sanding the seat base down to compensate), but my left rear seat is pushed forward by the AC unit so with the way it sits, in a 1:1 scale M1114 there would be no way that a Soldier would be able to put his feet in from of the seat, so I'll probably close the door on that one.

Jeff
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2006 - 01:32 AM UTC
Zach,
I thought the same thing about that piece, I even marked them left and right when I took them off the sprue plug. It turned out that i had them switched backwards.

Jeff,
I had them same problem with the AC too. I had to do some surgery and move the AC unit over a bit. I will try and get some picture up tonight. i get to working and run out of time to get some pictures taken.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:05 PM UTC
Here is my update. Been using TMs as reference for my scratchbuilding as well as some great photos from Whiskey and the invaluable help of Pete. Also for the pic below, the main components (chassis, undercarrage, hood, shell armor, and turret armor, plus weapons) are not glued together yet

I've added the windshields so I can add little components on the frame.

Here you can see the seat problem that I have. I'll probably leave this door closed.

For those that want to build this kit, here is what the rear bumper and armored headlight thing looks like on the chassis.

Jeff
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC
Ok, does anyone know where the fire extinguisher mount is on a Humvee?

Jeff
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 - 06:31 AM UTC
Behind the drivers seat at the foot of the it.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 07:29 AM UTC
How we coming along Jeff? Anything you need to know about the interior, or the exterior for that fact just lemme know. One thing I did notice about your last couple of pictures. The ammo racks are not in the rear of the vehicle. That space is reserved solely for the spare tire and equipment that is not immediatly needed during actions on contact. Ammo storage on an 1114 is in between the 2 passenger seats behind the gunners foot stand thing. I think I have a diagram of it somewhere, I'll see if I can pull it up later.
 _GOTOTOP