Hosted by Darren Baker
Basic training PzKw 2 progress
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi all I havent done much lately the wifes been unwell but she's ok now.I painted my Mark 2 with Tamyia german grey then over sprayed that with Revell aqua colour Ochre for the africa corp. I experimented with some chipping useing marmite and a piece of ripped sponge oversprayed with the ochre then washed it off using a piece of sponge.Ive never tried chipping before and I was quite pleased with the results.I intend to show the vehicle as a derilict with a thrown track,never tried that before either

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 05:33 PM UTC
Good start John, I like how the chipping round the edges is working. The larger patches(such as on the turret) can be added to with a bit of the ochre 'stippled' in. I have used both the sponge (brillo pad) you used and also had some succes with an old toothbrush, but it takes some practise to not cover half the vehcle... .

Cheers
Henk
Genetk44
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 85 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 08:39 PM UTC
Marmite??? I'd like to know more about that technique???? Model looks really good....I look forward to more pics as you progress.
Cheers
Gene
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 12:38 AM UTC
Hi Gene, The marmite method I got from model military international magazine its really simple. just get a piece of sponge I ripped a piece off one of those things you use for doining the dishes,dab it in some marmite then dab it on your model where you want the chipping,when you are happy with that spray your next coat over it allow it to dry for about an hour or less for Tamyia paints then you rub the paint and marmite off under a tap I used a piece of sponge again,it come off easy and leaves no residue and some pretty good chipping.Oh it doesnt work with enamels I used Revell aqua colour which is water based but arylics will work just fine.
mstcls
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC
Ok what is Marmite? I have herd about this technique several times and all of the results that I have seen were incredible. Were do you get this stuff. Some Do’s and Don’ts would be helpful as well. Oh and by the way nice work please see sentence #2.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 06:08 AM UTC
Marmite is a yeast (I think) spread used by our British cousins on toast, etc. It is similar in spirit (and strangeness, to us Yanks) to the Aussies' Vegemite. I've never been brave enough to try either of them. You can probably find marmite at a fancy grocery store in your area (Whole Foods and Wegmans carry it here in northern VA).
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 07:44 AM UTC
Very nice, i like the effect. i have sponges lying ard but im too afraid to try.
Just dont want to overdo things but i loves how your's turn out to be..
Great job John!!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC
Hi Daniel give it a try on a old model or piece of plastic its so easy to do.
Hi Lucas your spot on and you can use vegemite as well (Iprefer marmite on my toast though). Re do's and donts dont think there are any, if you put on to muchit just wipes off with a wet cloth no residue,dont use enamels for the top coat it has to be acrylic or water base thats all I can think of
 _GOTOTOP