_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Correct Blue Force Tracker Layout on Hummer
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
Well, did some more looking on the ETM for the Hummer and I came across this, thought it mught help some of you guys out that are still in the middle of their Hummer project and want to add a BFT to their radio set up.

Thank god I haven't closed up my M1114, so it will go back under the knife to get this addition.

troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC
Wow, another cool diagram Pete. Ive seen some pictures of that setup, but nothing this detailed. I have to say though, for me, this would be REALLY small and difficult to scratch build. Good luck with yours!
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC
AARRRGH - YOU ARE KILLING ME PETE!!!! More gizmos to put in the Humvee...

To be serious: Do you have a picture of the setup? It looks like something which are rather easy to scratch.

Erik
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Thats the thing Erik, can't find any good pictures of the complete set up, just partials.

I was just telling Gary that I am gonna try and build it first before I take the other one out of my M1114.

And to think of it, I thouhgt I was almost finished with my M1114 when I started to put paint on it and then I found the smoke popper setup and this.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 02:50 AM UTC
Thanks Pete. A little too late for me as I've already installed mine. But I probably could modify some of it.
BTW, does the ETM have any diagrams of the display? What is the ETM number?

I've got some pics of it on my laptop. Once I get home, I'll try to find them.

Jeff
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 02:59 AM UTC
I know Jeff, I'm sorry. It was you that made me strt looking for it. The manual I found it in was mainly for set up, TB 9-2320-280-35-12. It wasn't the Operators Manual for the BFT itself.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 03:46 AM UTC
Pete,

Its not a critism as the info is great, but I am amazed how you are able to scan and allow access to such helpful information from service handbooks as in the British Military [I am assuming it is the same now] but anything like that is always stamped as 'Restricted' and one would more than likely be disciplined under the 'Official Secrets' Act, if we were to do the same with any current handbooks/servicing guides.

Must be very different in the States, than our military laws.

John
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 03:58 AM UTC
John,
That was brought up conserning some pictures of some hummers. So I was a little concerned and I asked a fellow member who is also a Major. He pointed out to me and so has many others, that this information is on the web if some ones looks hard enough. I was amazed that some of the guys can go to one of our MIL Publications sights and pull TM,s up.

The material I put up is not restricted, classified, secrete, or top secrete if so, I wouldn't be putting it out there for everyone to see. These are just installation guides and not repair manuals that show the workings of such equipment.

Thanks for the concern John.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 05:36 AM UTC
Here are the BFT displays. I realized I don't have any pics of the CPU or the the installation. These images come from everywhere, so I'm sorry that I can't cite them (I think Pete at least some of these images you took or found).

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 05:40 AM UTC
Also, here are some images oof the various positions for the GPS on humvees. You can see them on the right rear side of the turtle shell armor and on the front windshield between the two windows. Same thing applies about the citations.

Finally, here is a link to another image, but its huge and I don't want to tie up the bandwidth.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/USNavy2534/CSA-2005-12-08-132745.jpg

Jeff
sneakypete
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 10:59 AM UTC
Here is the FBCB2 that was outfitted in the scout trucks in Iraq and my rendition of it scratch built in my current build. Im still working on the screen and the PLGR and all the wiring of it. I hope to have it finished for the campaign.
-Dan

cahilj
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 12:58 PM UTC
Good stuff Pete. I never realized that was in the 35 manual. I'm used to looking at the 10, 20, and 24 manuals.

A note on the antenna mounting for BFT and MTS (its not actually a GPS antenna, its the satellite antenna. The GPS antenna is a small, green round or octagon one). The early FBCB2 (early BFT) and MTS antennas were all mounted above the windshield, since it was cheaper and easier to produce one mount rather than multiple mounts for multiple vehicles. With the advent of up-armoring (M1114 and M1151), the mounts no longer fit the windshield frame, so field installs used a modified smoke launcher bracket. Then the kits started coming with the bracket to mount on the rear. You won't see too many windshield mount frames as of late, since most of the BFTs and MTSs have been swapped into up-armored vehicles.

Extreme early (like Jan-Feb-Mar 2003) FBCB2 antennas are square cone shaped deals. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of that style.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Friday, December 01, 2006 - 08:31 PM UTC
Good pics, Pete. Was wondering which manual they were in.

On the security thing, it matters not what you can access via someone's photos. Running the Armor Conference last year brought me into a new understanding on security.

Not saying you are wrong, but it's a good time to stand on that soapbox anyways, so here's my understanding from what I've received from our G2 on guidance from the CSA, VCSA, as well as others.

If it's For Official Use Only or higher, it doesn't get shared. This does not mean that unlcassified items are free game, to be distributed. It may fall into the sensitive, but unclassfied (SBU) category, where a piece here or there may add up to the whole.

On informatin from military manuals, each one has a distribution blurb in the front. If it does not say Distribution - unlimited, if someone were to take an issue with what is posted, the poster, if military or government civilian, opens themselves up for prosecution. Or at least investigation. Which is why I will not post items out of the Abrams TM's. *shrug* Great stuff, but it has a limited distribution. You can have an unclassified TM that is limited in it's distribution.

Same thing goes for tactics, techinques and procedures, although that's a more slippery slope.

Just please becareful. No doubt you get the same OPSEC briefs that I do, but it still boils down that a part here, a part there, maybe a little confirmation of something, and someone (who you may not think is an "enemy" in the traditional sense) has a good solid confirmation on something.

Ok, Security hat off. You do some excellent work, Pete, and it's always a joy to be able to troll the boards looking at your posts. And on this particular instance, you are perfectly in the right. Front page, down on the bottom (just pulled it down from the LOGSA site), it's "Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited". *grin* Hats off to finding it!

Jed Sargent
 _GOTOTOP