_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M88 from sand to Nato color?
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:04 PM UTC
I've seen some armor painted from nato to sand, but I was wondering if they ever paint them from sand back to nato, and what it would look like....?
Why this question? I tried to build a M88a1 in the early days of my modeling (not sooo long ago :-) ) and that was in sand color...

but it looks awefull and I was thinking to change it back to nato colors... would that mean doing the wheels all over again and stuff....?
Maybe someone has a pic of armor changed from sand to nato?

Thanks!
EuanElliot
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:41 PM UTC
afraid it probably mean doing the wheels agai, which is hard with tracks. Sorry mate, but i dont have ay pictures
Hope this helps
Euan
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:47 PM UTC
Looking at some of the discussion over in some of the other areas in the forums, it should not be too difficult to paint with care your new scheme, without disassembling.

And as a side note for realism, when a U.S. vehicle gets repainted, no tires or tracks are removed. Vision blocks are taped up, but that's about it. So, if you had a desert colored one, being repainted back to the NATO camouflage, you'll possibly see overspray on the tracks and roadwheels. Not a lot, but some.

Jed
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And as a side note for realism, when a U.S. vehicle gets repainted, no tires or tracks are removed. Vision blocks are taped up, but that's about it. So, if you had a desert colored one, being repainted back to the NATO camouflage, you'll possibly see overspray on the tracks and roadwheels. Not a lot, but some.

I know, but does it ever happen that they change them back to nato?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I know, but does it ever happen that they change them back to nato?

Yes, when units from Germany deployed to Desert Storm, tracked vehicles were painted sand in Saudi Arabia and repainted NATO 3-color upon return to Germany. They looked terrible though.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:05 AM UTC
There are some M88's in Korea that had decent paintjobs, but underneath, if the paint chipped or scratched, you could see a tan bas

Jed
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:34 AM UTC
Thanks!
Would the roadwheels have nato paint residu on them then, or would they mask them? (not having a clue how a paintjob on those monsters would look like)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:42 AM UTC
The initial sand coat did not adhere to the NATO 3-color CARC scheme very well and chipped all over the place. When they were repainted, some units tried to chip off the sand paint prior to reapplying the NATO scheme, others just painted over the sand.

Since M88s get used and abused, many just looked like lepers with several layers of paint chipping. You have to remember that the crew of a tank has only one job, to get the tank into the fight. An M88 crew has primary jobs as a tank mechanics. Maintaining their own vehicles becomes secondary to fixing tanks in the battalion. Making them look pretty is a low priority.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 01:04 AM UTC
The ones we had (if they had the original tan painted roadwheels) were chipped pretty regular. If you don't clean the paint thoroughly, subsequent layers don't stick too great.

Jed
 _GOTOTOP