_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
704th Tank Destroyer Battalion
fredsirois
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 12:58 AM UTC
Greetings. Some friends of mine suggested I try this site for some information.
I recently discovered that a member of my church is a veteran of the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion, Company B, during WWII. He was a gunner on an M18 Hellcat. I am going to build the AFV kit for him with some modifications. Moreover, I thought it would be a nice touch if I could put his unit's markings on it, if not his vehicle. He can't remember much about his vehicle's markings.
My question is, is there a site or source that would have vehicle marking information about the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion, Company B, while they were attached to the 4th Armored Division? Any help here would be appreciated.
Thank you from a newbie.

Fred Sirois
Cavalry
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Greetings. Some friends of mine suggested I try this site for some information.
I recently discovered that a member of my church is a veteran of the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion, Company B, during WWII. He was a gunner on an M18 Hellcat. I am going to build the AFV kit for him with some modifications. Moreover, I thought it would be a nice touch if I could put his unit's markings on it, if not his vehicle. He can't remember much about his vehicle's markings.
My question is, is there a site or source that would have vehicle marking information about the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion, Company B, while they were attached to the 4th Armored Division? Any help here would be appreciated.
Thank you from a newbie.

Fred Sirois

Fred- I consulted Shelby Stanton's marvelous World War II Order of Battle to see what the 704th did during the war. Here is what I found out. Formed in December 1941 at Pine Camp, New York, departed US 3 September 1943 for England. They arrived in France 13 July 1944. Credited with Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe, Normandy,Northern France and Rhineland Campaigns. The 700 series TD battalions had their origin with field artillery battalions, See Harry Yeide's The Tank Killers for some details on their specific actions. The 4th Armored Division served with (although not exclusively) with the Third Army. So, the bumper markings would be 704TD3A on the right front and left rear with the apropriate company (A,B,C) and vehicle number. Generally the First Platoon of a given company is 1 (10,11,12,14) and the second (20,21,22,23,24), etc. If the fellow recalls what platoon and company he was assigned to, add the appropriate vehicle number. These guys also served with the 101st Airborne, 26th, 87th and 94th Infantry Divisions and the 6th Cavalry Group during the war. As you stated they used the M-18 Hellcat during their service.
Trust this assists your efforts.
fredsirois
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 06:12 PM UTC
Thanks much! That's alot miore information than I've been able to get on my own. I'll ask Frank (the 704th vet) about his platoon number. He did tell me he was in B Company. I plan to sit down with him and get some history as well.

Thanks again!
Fred
Cavalry
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 101 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 07:03 PM UTC
Fred-- if I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
fredsirois
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC
Thanks, Cavalry. I appreciate it.

If anyone else can help me on this, that would be great. I did a little check and Kencelot had some information back in October.

Are you there, Kencelot?
wkipp
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi there,

Depending on how seriously you want to pursue things, there are two out of print books specifically on the 704th published by Saint Vincent College in their Publications of the Saint Vincent College Center for Northern Appalachian Studies Richard Wissolik general editor.
They are-
Men of the 704 - A Pictorial and Spoken History of the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion in World War II and
Reluctant Valor - The Oral History of Captain Thomas J. Evans, 704 Tank Destroyer Battalion. Combat Diary, Company C
and there is also a veteran's association-
704th Tank Destroyer Battalion Association
Mr. Lawrence A. Bennett
2717 Cottage Way, #15
Sacramento, CA 95825-1222
(5 Star Review)
(916) 487-9334
Some photos of 704 M-18s appear in Steven Zaloga's Concord books. One photo has the markings across the hull front from L to R looking head-on as
3A 704TD A-13

HTH
Kipp

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 08:48 PM UTC
Kipp-- do you know if they have anything on the 820th TD Battalion?
thanks
DJ
fredsirois
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 10:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there,

Depending on how seriously you want to pursue things, there are two out of print books specifically on the 704th published by Saint Vincent College in their Publications of the Saint Vincent College Center for Northern Appalachian Studies Richard Wissolik general editor.
They are-
Men of the 704 - A Pictorial and Spoken History of the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion in World War II and
Reluctant Valor - The Oral History of Captain Thomas J. Evans, 704 Tank Destroyer Battalion. Combat Diary, Company C
and there is also a veteran's association-
704th Tank Destroyer Battalion Association
Mr. Lawrence A. Bennett
2717 Cottage Way, #15
Sacramento, CA 95825-1222
(5 Star Review)
(916) 487-9334
Some photos of 704 M-18s appear in Steven Zaloga's Concord books. One photo has the markings across the hull front from L to R looking head-on as
3A 704TD A-13

HTH
Kipp

Thanks Kipp. The veteran that I am doing this for has a copy of "Men of the 704th" which he allowed me to read. I have Steven Zaloga's book and did notice that photo.
I will try to contact Mr. Bennett from the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion Association.
Again, thanks for the help.
driverj
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 - 05:58 PM UTC
Hello Mr. Sirois,

I read your question in regards to your search for information about the 704th Company B, Fourth Armored Division, Third Army of WW2 and what would be the appropriate markings that were used on armor vehicles from that era.
I am an active member of a WW2 U.S. Army reinactor unit that portrays the 704th Tank Destroyers of Company A. Your story about meeting a veteran of company B caught my attention as there are so few gentleman from that time to pass on there stories. Your efforts at acurrately recreating the M-18 Hellcat markings for this veteran are honorable and deserve to be done correctly. It would be a pleasure to relay that information onto you if you could contact me at [email protected]
rmiller419
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 01:20 PM UTC
Hello, I am looking for information on how to join the 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion Association for my father. My father, Ernest Miller, was a medic in the 704th TD from mid 1944 till the end of the war. We have tried to use the telephone number on the "704th Tank Destroyer Battalion Association" web site telephone & email address but they are no long valid.

Please send me any 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion Association contact information that is available.

Thank you in advance,
My email address is: [email protected]
tomreilley
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC
Fred,

I just found this forum & subscribed. I haven't had a chance to search any of he other postings. By any chance is your church member friend still living? Please show him the following & see if he might remember my late father-in-law and any exact dates when they were training in Texas.

I never knew my late father-in-law, Roland Breault. He enlisted 5-Feb-42 in Massachusetts. He was a T5 SGT in Company B of the 704th TDB and served till the end of the war. He was a native of Northbridge, MA. While training with the 704th in Texas [ Camp Maxey, Paris, TX ?)he was married in Texas to Rebecca Sauve, also a native of Northbridge, MA.

We are guessing the time frame was from August of 1943 to April of 1944. Our big question is, WHEN and WHERE were they married?

If your friend is still living please ask him if he knew ROland and anything about when/where Roland & Rebecca were married.

Thanks,

Tom
braulston
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 08:08 AM UTC
Here is another excellent TD resource site http://tankdestroyer.net/
 _GOTOTOP