_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
USArmy2534 - And yet another humvee update
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
The more I build, the more this seems to be a rolling porcupine. This eventually will have 5 figures (though only 4 are shown) set probably on a dirt road.

A lot of this isn't glued down, including the turret, and smoke launchers. I also just rammed the M240 down the mounting hole

My question is what is used for ammo pouches on an M240 mounted in a humvee? Is the ammo just freely hung or is there an ammo can that attaches to the weapon? Also, does anyone have a link to a really good closeup of the mounting plate for the M240? I made my own knowing it is woefully inaccurate, but at the moment it works, but I'd still like to know what the real thing looks like so maybe I could scratch it.

Jeff
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 03:51 AM UTC
I will look tomorrow Jeff when I get back to work. I do remember that the mount for the 240 isn't as extravegant as the mount for a Mk19 or .50 Cal.

One thing Jeff, in order for the gun shield to clear the smoke launchers, they need to be extended out. Good thing that they are not glued yet. A metal sheet is bolted in place and the launcher is bolted to the end of the sheet.

I like what I see though. The race is one to see who finishes theres first.
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 05:16 AM UTC
Beautiful work, thats all I can really say.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 05:44 AM UTC
Jeff--your build is looking great! What sets did you get your figures from? I think at least one of them looks like a Dragon figure, but I'm not sure.

I agree with Gino on the smoke poppers--both forward mounts need to be extended out for clearance. You also need to rotate the right rear popper to cover the right flank of the vehicle. By the way, your scratchbuilt antenna and mount are excellent.

USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff--your build is looking great! What sets did you get your figures from? I think at least one of them looks like a Dragon figure, but I'm not sure.

Yep, these are Dragon's US Marines. I've never seen US Army Soldiers wearing the vests over their IBAs, so I've covered most of it up in gear and have started painting them. Each guy in the set except the SAW gunner has on of those vests. The other turret gunner and TC are Tamiya's figures from the kit. Actually the TC is meant to be the driver, but it all works the same. My biggest problem is getting the arms on the gunner to work since they are shaped to work with a TOW launcher.

Quoted Text

I agree with Gino on the smoke poppers--both forward mounts need to be extended out for clearance. You also need to rotate the right rear popper to cover the right flank of the vehicle. By the way, your scratchbuilt antenna and mount are excellent.

I'm sure you meant Pete , an I made the extensions. I never planned on gluing them until the end as I'm painting them in forest green while the majority of the vehicle will be sand so I don't want to mix up the airbrush painting. Thanks for the help on the orientation of the smoke poppers. I will make sure to change that back right one.

The antenna was eyeballed from reference photos. If you want to make that round part, find a Beta mag for an M-16 in Dragon's AR-15 set and cut one of the drums off of it, sand it down. Works out really nice.

Jeff
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 07:05 AM UTC
Oops, sorry for getting your name mixed up, Pete!

By the way Jeff, where did you get the M240 in the cupola and the resin M4s? I think I need to get me some of those, too.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way Jeff, where did you get the M240 in the cupola and the resin M4s? I think I need to get me some of those, too.

This is going to sound wierd, but to be perfectly honest, I have no idea where the M240 came from. A member on the site, Medic23, was selling a number of items on eBay and I was able to buy a box with a massive number of misc. resin and plastic small arms as well as a couple of other things. I'm guessing that the M240 is from Hobby Fan, but I can't be sure. The M-4s and M-16s were also in the box, but look to be from Blast-Models, at least the cream colored ones. The others, like the M-16 with ACOG and M249 para-SAW I have no idea where they came from.

I would honestly be more than willing to give you one of the 3 240s I've got, but I've made plans for them. I personally bought Blast-Models M-4 set and it is really worth the money (I think less than $10 each), but the barrels are incredibly fragile. I've broken 3 already.

Jeff
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip on the M4s, Jeff--I think I'll get myself one of the sets from Blast models (they seem to have two available, from what I just saw on their Web site). As for the M240, no worries, I'll just keep looking. I want to buy one for the Trumpeter LAV I got a couple of months ago.

Looking forward to seeing your Humvee finished, by the way.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 08:55 PM UTC
we put boxes of 240 ammo inside the birdcage for the .50 cal and used bungee cords to keep it in place. never ever ever want any belt fed ammo fed loosely into the weapon cause it can get hung really easily.

as far as the molle vest goes, there are tons of troops that wear them over thier IBAs. never saw anyone with a woodland camo one though, just desert vests. and i cant remember where it is but its says USARMY in bold black letters on the vest.

also, only things i noticed about your build is the gunners secondary weapon and your driver. is the driver going to be one of the guys outside the vehicle? i only ask because unless the vehicle is on fire or something he is the ONE person that never gets out. and the gunners weapon, the a gunner cant have their weapon sticking up like that its less secure like that going down the road and kinda gets dirtier like that. one way you could do it is to just move the barrel straight down towards the front of the vehicle. if you have the two handlebars on the inside of your turret shield, just slide the barrelt into one of those. thats how i always carried my weapon.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC
Thanks Zach, I'll switch my TC to the driver position and have him doing something like getting ready to lean out and cover the front. I figured, since they were stopped that having the gunner's M-4 positioned like that wouldn't be a problem. Shouldn't be a problem putting it through one of the handle bars though. Thanks.

Jeff
hpoon76
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 03:39 PM UTC
I have some pics if you're interested, send me an email to send them to.
 _GOTOTOP