login   |    register
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Essex class wind breaker upgrade?
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Joined: February 05, 2004
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 03:09 AM UTC

I have been working on a 1/700 Trumpeter USS Franklin, and was looking to upgrade parts C25 and C26. (red arrows)

I was wondering 2 things:

1) what are these called?

2) does anyone offer them in PE in 1/700? Have you made these somehow?

(the picture is a great model by Hanchang Kuo)

Thanks for any help!

- Steve
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Joined: August 13, 2008
KitMaker: 124 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 04:58 AM UTC
The entire port side elevator rests on those two vertical girder rails filled with steel cables and pulleys, that with the weight of AC on, could cause great stress on the raising and lowering of the lift, especially on the elevator 2 inboard corners.
THose are just re inforcing strakes to keep the vertical alignment 100% at all times as this would be a continuous use unit. Heavy seas can also cause damage to these areas, thus the heavy horizontal supports. In some post war carriers, like the Forrestals, the forward supports were enclosed in like a little hurricane bow to allow heavy sea state water to deflect off the rounded contours.
PE for these?? Hardly. VERY easy to make with white styrene, especially in 700 scale..