Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
A Plea to Plastic Model Manufacturers
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:58 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

As you know the last 18 months has seen a very welcome increase in the range of British 1/35 vehicles from the Plastic Injection Manufacturers. This is great news but there is still a lot missing.

This is a plea for some British made trucks. I've listed below what we don't have, so there are a lot of options for them to choose from.

Would you sign up and support this post if like me you would like to see some classic 1/35 British trucks in the plastic injection market.

Here's what we don't have:-

Tourers

Austin 8hp 2 seater
Humber Snipe 4 seater

Saloons

Austin 10hp 4 seater
Hillman 10hp Minx 4 seater
Standard 14hp 4 seater
Vauxhall 14hp 4 seater
vauxhall 25hp 4 seater
Ford WOA1, WOA1/A 4 seater

Light Utilities

Austin 10hp G/Gy
Nilman 10 hp (Mks I, IA, IIm IIA, IIB and IV)
Morris 10hp series M
Standard 12hp

Heavy Utilities

Humber SNipe 4 x 2
Humber F.W.D 4 x 2
Ford WOA2 4 x 2
Bedford Series QLD, QLT, QLB,QLR, OLC's (many) and QLT 4 x 4

Light Trcuks

8cwt

Ford WOC1
Humber Snipe 4 x 2
Humber F.W.D 4 x 4
Morris Commercial PU
Morris Commercial PU8/4

15cwt

Austin BYD 4 x 2
Bedord MW series 4 x 2
Commer 'Beetle' 4 x 2
Fordson WOIT, TO1Y 4 x 2
Fordson WOT2 series 4 x 2
Guy 'Ant' 4 x 2
Guy 'Quad-Ant' 4 x 4
Morris Commercial CS8 4 x 2
Morris Commercial C4, Mks 1 and II 4 x 2
Morris Commercial C8/GS 4 x 4

30cwt 4 x 2

Austin K 30
Bedford OX series
Bedford MSC
Commer Q2
Ford E018T
Fordson WOT3 series
Morris Commercial CS11/30
Thornycroft GF/TC4, HF/TC4

2 Ton 4 x 2

Austin K2/YF
Bedford ML
Karrier Bantam Mk i and II

3 ton 4 x 2

Albion CL125, KL 127
Bedford QY series
Commer 04
Dennis WD
Dodge 80, 82
Layland Lynx
Thornycroft WZ/TC4, ZS/TC4
Tillings Stevens TS20

3 Ton 4 x 4

ACE 0853 matador
Albion FT11N
Austin K5 series
Bedford QL Series
Fordson WOT6
Guy Lizard
Karrier K6
Thornycroft Nubian

3 Ton 6 x 4

AEC Matrshal
Albion BY series
Austin K3/YF
Austiin K6, K61A
Crossley 1GL7, 1 GL8
Ford E917T
Fordson WOT1 series
Guy FBAX
Karrier K 6
Layland Retriever
Layland Terrier
thornycroft Tartar

Heavy Lorries

5 Ton 4 x 2

Bedford OW series
Dennis Pig
Dodge 100

6 Ton 4 x 2

Commer Q6
Dennis Max Mk ( and Mk II
Dodge 120
E.R.F. 2C14
Foden DG4/6
Fordson Thames 7V (4-6 ton)
Maudsley Militant

10 Ton 6 x 4

Albion Cx6N
albion Cx23N
Foden FG/6/10, DG/6/12
Layland Hippo Mk I, MK II Mk IIA and Mk IIB

and a few trailers and artillery pieces to match would also be good!!

So lots of choice there. For me the Bedford QLD and QLB are high on the list and also the Morris 15 cwt series, which was a main stay of the British Army. Tamiya have announced a Tilly but in 1/48, if this also came in 1/35 scale it would be great as these small light utilities were in abundance up to 43. The Ford WOA1 Saloon would also be a classic or the Humber Box.

There is so much potential here and what we have is the very old Italeri 6pdr Portee and a couple of outdated and slightly out of scale gun tractors.

So folks come and join the call for more British made trucks, remember you Axis fans can use them to as plenty were captured and re-used by the Germans.

Here's hoping you give this a bit of support.

Al

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hopefully this is a thread which we can look back on in a couple of years and comment on how the list is much reduced.

I would also add the Norton, Triumph and BSA motor cycles for all the MP and dispatch rider figures out there.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:38 PM UTC
Count me in as well...

Being the Gloomy Old Git™ that I am though, i'd suggest that if German Softskins aren't being covered eiither, (the lack of anything heavier than a 'Blitz' is absurd, apart from the Zvezda promise) I don't see many manufacturers jumping up and down at the possibility...

There is however, some (possible) 'light' in the gloom... Bronco have shown themselves prepared to do VERY unusual subjects and haven't been hidebound by simply German vehicles. Personally, i'd be happy even to see the beginnings of a Bedford series - just one (basic) wheelbase would give a LOT of potential....
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hopefully this is a thread which we can look back on in a couple of years and comment on how the list is much reduced.

I would also add the Norton, Triumph and BSA motor cycles for all the MP and dispatch rider figures out there.

Hi Pat,

Yip, those too.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Count me in as well...

Being the Gloomy Old Git™ that I am though, i'd suggest that if German Softskins aren't being covered eiither, (the lack of anything heavier than a 'Blitz' is absurd, apart from the Zvezda promise) I don't see many manufacturers jumping up and down at the possibility...

There is however, some (possible) 'light' in the gloom... Bronco have shown themselves prepared to do VERY unusual subjects and haven't been hidebound by simply German vehicles. Personally, i'd be happy even to see the beginnings of a Bedford series - just one (basic) wheelbase would give a LOT of potential....

Hi Jim,

I'd agree there, a basic QLD would open up some good possibilities, there are a great range of possibilities with the Bedford. Something in the 15cwt series would also be very useful, Morris Commercial or Guy-Ant are both classic vehicles.

As you say, Bronco are possibly the best hope vehicle wise and MiniArt or MB for the bikes Pat.

Light utilites and the 2 seat tourers were used extensively until late 43 early 44 when the jeep arrived on ther scene.

With all these possibilities lets hope someone takes note.

There is a very useful publication by Ryton Publications titled British Military Transport, Light Utilities, Lorries, Heavy General Servcie Trucks that has some great 1/35 scale drawings of the more common types used. ISBN 1 898135 02 9.

i was goping to do a review on the booklet, but I'm waiting to see if its OK with them to reproduce some of the text and drawings.

A Bedford MWC 15cwt 4 x 2 Water Tank would be neat lol, lol.

Thanks for your support guys.

Al

Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 02:07 AM UTC
I'm with you all the way. You've listed some very interesting and important choices.

If I may just stress the illogical absence (In Plastic) of the LAND ROVER!!! Doesn't make sense with such a popular vehicle.

Did manufacturers actually do marketing studies and found that Land Rovers wouldn't sell!!! Very doubtful.

Hisham
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi Hisham,

Thanks for the support, and then there were 4 .

I was concentrating on WW2 British Made Vehicles here, but agree apart from Tamiya's old SAS Pinki, the Landrover seems to have been ignored, which is a real pain for post war and modern builders.

Cheers

Al
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 03:08 AM UTC
Alan,

I completed the Tamiya survey and requested new tooled British / Commonwealth soft skins of all sorts Mind you I also would love to see a new universal carrier, lloyd carrier, T16 carrier, 6lb'er all in affordable plastic. Yes I live in a dream world, but its my world lol.
Darryl
From a very wet,expecting heavy snow showers Barrie.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 04:26 AM UTC
Alan why not submit your list to some of the likely manufacturers, include some background on the most likely candidates such as numbers, time period, and variants. You never know someone may bite.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi Darryl adn Darren,

Thanks for the support guys.

Darren,

I might just do that, but wanted to run the thread to get a feeling if there was any kind of demand. No matter how convincing a case they won't make a kit unless they think it will sell, so come on guys, sign up.

Cheers

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hey Al,
Another great list that you've compiled !!
You get my support in pleading with the manufacturers to please bring on the soft-skins !!!
It would be nice to see some CMP trucks too, certainly a new 15cwt would be welcome.
Dodge trucks have been covered by Skybow/AFV Club and Italeri/Max Peerless but where are the other Fords, Chevys and GM trucks that were supplied via Lend Lease and equipped many of the Allied armies?
Unless it's a copyright issue a' la Tamiya's Opel Blitz or Jeep, I can't see why more trucks and cars aren't being produced.
Cheers

jjumbo
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I completed the Tamiya survey and requested...

A little off-topic, but I was going to run the story of Tamiya's 'Survey' here, but decided not to. Basically, I didn't want to publicize what many see as a charade (nothing about Internet sites for example, also Tamiya will do precisely what they fancy anyway ) and if Tamiya, or anyone else want to run a (SERIOUS) Survey here, we'd bend over backwards to assist.

This brings me onto my feelings about threads like this. Alan is absolutely correct in making the attempt here, it being the only site (apart from FSM) with sufficient volume of traffic to make it more than just a 'straw poll'. Saying that, having done similar threads in the past, they are only as good as the participation. Unfortunately, in my own experience it's a LOT of effort for many to simply reply in the affirmative. I truly hope that this WILL be different and i'd urge as many as possible to add their support
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 05:52 AM UTC
Jim perhaps Jim S would be willing to put up a forum poll, that takes less effort to show your support.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for the support.

On the CMP Italeri is your best bet. They already have the 15cwt Chevrolet, both truck and Gun Tractor. If they choose to upgrade these it would be great and they could easily add the HUW and HUP plus the extended chassis version. They re-release the 15cwt every so often because there is still a demand and nothing else to challenge it, but haven't bothered with the Gun Tractor for a good while. If they would upgrade the moulds they already have the basis for some excellent Canadian Trucks.

I'm, rooting for at least 1 or 2 British Made vehicles in 1/35 scale, not that I have anything against Canadian trucks

Think of the possibilities with just the basic QLD in plastic. Once you have the chassis, wheels and cab well there are so many versions of that one alone. Italeri have the chassis and wheels and half a cab but that's a lot of converting and scratch building just to get a basic truck, not to mention time and cost of AM products. They have had it for 30 odd years and done no development whatsoever, so we need a new contender in the field, and with todays technology and moulding techniques we could have a brillient vehicle.

Thanks again for the suopprt, appreciated.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 06:06 AM UTC
Hi Darren,

It only take a moment to type YES lol, lol.

To the 294 people who looked so far that's not a lot to ask guys.

Cheers

Al
billybo
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:01 AM UTC
I'm in......Support you need you got.........It would be nice to see some gun trucks....Monty
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 07:23 AM UTC
Hi Monty,

Nice one.

Al
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Armorama: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 08:14 AM UTC
We’ll more trucks could never hurt.

You got my support.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
I totally agree, the QLD and Morris 15cwt would seem the most obvious but I'd really love to see a Scammel too............
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 08:54 AM UTC
I would like to see some British trucks in plastic too, in 1/35 scale. I prefer modern vehicles, though, so I think a Land Rover and a Stalwart would be particularly welcome. I hope some of the manufacturers read this, and produce some.
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:25 AM UTC
Count me in as well! Where there's an allied item added to the list, It's always good! I'm with you 100%!
Cheers and happy modelling!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the support,

Steve,

A QLD and Morris 15cwt would be a great start, they seem the most logical to me too.

PJ,

Never understood why no one else did a landrover either!!

Thanks again folks.

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hey Al I'll happily offer my support. That is some list!
A question. What percentage of your list total have been/are currently available in resin? Surely not many...
Brad
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:05 PM UTC
you got my vote
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC
Count me in, too, Al! Ya can't get enough 35th scale softskins... I'm all for a much greater selection of WWII-era Allied and post-war soft-skinned vehicles! Recently saw the Pit Road Type 95 Kurogane Japanese staff car and thought --- yeah, that's the idea, we need more releases of this type (and bigger) all around!!

So I say: "Bring 'em on!" and of course, "Keep on Truckin'!"

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.