_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Interesting Figure Set from DML
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 08:39 AM UTC
Dragon should take another look at some of their very old figure sets with real action poses and re-do them. Now that would be interesting.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 08:58 AM UTC
Four completely different figures for four completely different situations is exactly what they are. Dragon vaguely calls them "March to the West 1940" but does not place them in any particular action. They could just as easily be used on the Eastern Front, for that matter. A diorama does not have to have guys running about and shooting and dying, etc. (Although they are usually more interesting! ). There are plenty of alternate situations where any one of these guys would certainly fit in.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 01:00 PM UTC
Dont know were I'm going with this..... If these figures were Alpine we would all be going "Wow look how great they look" " Cool early war uniforms " etc. But they're not Alpine but DML and then its "Boring" "Germans pointing, no not again" etc...... I like them, i'd like to know how many German field police, in Rubberized suits type figures are available to us dont get me wrong I'd love to see DML producing a German MG 42 team running across a field under fire, holding they're helmets on etc..... I can only pray!
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 09:19 AM UTC
LOOOOOOOORD WHAT NEXT !! Paper-panzergrenadiers !!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 05:14 PM UTC
I suspect the problem here is everyone knows what Dragon is capable of producing and the quality of those products. When Dragon re wrote the rule book about a decade ago everyone had to have their latest and greatest product, now move on to today where a Tiger 1 and Panther will still sell, but they have shown a lack of imagination and keep looking for that next German item that will light up the mind of the viewer. I am afraid their crown is slipping as regards the Western world as most have moved on from Germany World War 2. I am sure if they released a Bradley, Sherman DD, or even a Challenger you would be hard pressed to find a negative comment, and so its not that this is a bad or poor product it just that a largely majority in the west want to see something original from DML again.
richardw
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 07:29 PM UTC
Got to buck the trend here and say I like the look of them.
To me, from looking at the box art, they arn't intended to interact as a group. They have been drawn as 4 individual figures on 4 individual patches of differing ground.
O.K. I agree they're "More Germans" but D.M.L. are a buisness, they know their market and what sells. I expect that they struggle to see a return on a set of allied figures after all production costs etc, but to offset that shortfall they can knock out another German set because they guarantee a profit.
Maybe we should be thankful for the high volume of Germans, if they are what pay for the allied sets D.M.L. do put out.
Put simply, we like to make models, whatever era, army, etc, floats our individual boats. D.M.L. like any other successful buisness, like to make money!
Just my 2p.

Richard.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

O.K. I agree they're "More Germans" but D.M.L. are a buisness, they know their market and what sells. I expect that they struggle to see a return on a set of allied figures after all production costs etc, but to offset that shortfall they can knock out another German set because they guarantee a profit.

Your argument isn't without merit but, IMO, would be more valid a year or two ago than now. If we can draw a correlation between interest generated and actual sales (not entirely unrelated) then Allied figure sets from MiniArt or Masterbox are generating infinitely more interest here in the News or Reviews section than DmL's infinite variations on the same broad theme.

I'd temper that slightly by pointing out that much as we'd like to believe the contrary, many modelrs STILL don't use the 'Net as their primary source of information and still (quaintly enough) still rely on print magazines or their LHS as a source of News on future releases. Bearing in mind that News in a print magazine may be 6-8 weeks old when it's published.

Here, depending on our motivation we can have a turn-round on News from a manufacturer in a question of MINUTES. Add to that the RSS feeds we run on the site and we really are fast.

You can be informed or keep with the old, traditional way...
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 08:55 PM UTC
@ Darren, you summed up 10 months of rants and the reason why in your post. Congrat.

Julien
 _GOTOTOP