_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Trumpeter: Three New Sd.Kfz.9 "FAMO" Kits
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 03:55 AM UTC

Trumpeter will "see" Tamiya's one Sd.Kfz.9 "FAMO" and "raise" it two more with a series of three future releases of Germany's largest half-track platform.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 07:16 AM UTC
Ohhhhhhhh hell yea! Will stash the Bilstein and 88mm version. Of the original Tamiya FAMO, I'll keep one or two around as well (the transporter of course). Will have to consider getting rid of the aftermarket conversions too.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 08:58 AM UTC
Tamiya kit ancient?... How old are you, Bill?
Tamiya M113 is ancient, FAMO is just a bit outdated. Certainly not ancient
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 09:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is from the previous century and previous millenium .....
/ Robin
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 11:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, Pawel, I'm with Robin.

The Tamiya kit is still very good, and with some love and AM PE and such, will build up very acceptably. But it comes with just the recovery option. There was a resin conversion for a Billstein crane, but it was expensive. No Bunkerknacker with 88 was possible, and certainly the artillery version (with seating for a large crew to man something like the 21cm cannon that was part of its work routine) was not generally possible.
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 01:56 PM UTC
[quote}There was a resin conversion for a Billstein crane, but it was expensive. No Bunkerknacker with 88 was possible, and certainly the artillery version (with seating for a large crew to man something like the 21cm cannon that was part of its work routine) was not generally possible.[/quote]

Actually, a conversion to build the 88mm version was released by two companies - TMD (who also released the aforementioned Bilstein crane conversion) and Alliance Model Works. The TMD kit is excellent. And the Artillery conversion was released by Caliber 35.
JFeder504
Visit this Community
Nord, France
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 12:23 AM UTC
Trying to be happy with what I have instead of looking for what I don't have, as I have the Bilstein crane TMD conversion, I will stay with this combination. Trumpeter has to prove me the quality of his job as I don't feel happy with some of their production. Those news are still good news for those who are just starting !
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 12:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Trying to be happy with what I have instead of looking for what I don't have, as I have the Bilstein crane TMD conversion, I will stay with this combination. Trumpeter has to prove me the quality of his job as I don't feel happy with some of their production. Those news are still good news for those who are just starting !

I would also like to read the reviews first. Trumpeter made some mistakes with their Sd.Kfz. 7 and Sd.Kfz. 6 so I am slightly cautious ...
/ Robin
Mongo13
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 12:48 AM UTC
I thought they only did one of the artillery version and decided it would be a waste of what this vehicle was designed for.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would also like to read the reviews first. Trumpeter made some mistakes with their Sd.Kfz. 7 and Sd.Kfz. 6 so I am slightly cautious ...
/ Robin

I can't comment on their Sd.Kfz.6, but my first review on Armorama 10 years ago was their Sd.Kfz.7. Since then I have built the Dragon version as well, and can say that both are fine. Unless you have a copy of a Panzer Tracts with line drawings to compare it to, the Trumpeter version builds up nicely and actually has more interior detail than the Dragon version.

I have asked Trumpeter to provide review copies to Armorama, but can't guarantee that they will. I look forward to the Bilstein version especially, and perhaps the artillery model to pull around the massive 21cm "mortar" Trumpeter released some time ago. While Dave Shick's review is a mixed one, I would still be interested in building the gun, as I'm a closet red-leg.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 06:40 AM UTC
It only stands to reason that AFTER I do the TMD Bilstein conversion AND the Artillery conversion (at the expense of three Tamiya kits for the benches) that someone would offer everyone else these hard-won variants. Good for them. Groan. And I still believe that the Tamiya kit is arguably the best engineered kits ever offered by anyone and with few modifications builds into an amazing kit all on its own. Trumpeter has some mighty big shoes to fill and I look forward to an indepth build review. I could be convinced to do so by Armourama's management team...
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 06:44 AM UTC
No, not at all as towing artillery was its first task for which the 17 and 21cm guns from Trumpeter are a great match-up. The latter is what I teamed mine up with. Tank recovery was almost beyond this mighty beast's capability as it took three of them merely to recover a Tiger and there were never enough of them to go around.
teh111
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 - 03:47 AM UTC
I canīt get my Hands on the 8,8 Version of any manufacturer so I will see what Trumpeter do to this one .I hope that one will be a good one. Tamiya is still 30 years old kit .I hope they do all the new technics to theire molds .I wonder why they donīt do an F3 late Version as well
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 10:58 AM UTC
It has been my experience that Tamiya doesn't "DO" kit updates and/or produce series vehicles. Sadly, Tamiya seems to be a "one and done - then move on" sort of company. Even though they already have 90% of the tooling complete! They could easily and at a lower cost do a Late Famo** or the Artillery bodied Famo, OR EVEN a short wheelbase and/or enclosed cab Deuce and a Half.

I have asked the same questions of Tamiya elsewhere on this site in the past:

"Waiting for a new Famo" (Started Feb. 2013)
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/203261&ord=&page=1

and

"Waiting for a new Deuce and a Half" (Started Feb. 2013)
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/203281

** The Artillery Body Famo and the Late Famo would be, by far the easiest variants to offer and require the least amount of manufacturing effort, but NO!

Well Excuse . . . . . ME!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 01:44 PM UTC
I guess Tamiya felt that if they produced an artillery body Famo some of their competitors just might sell a big canon or two for the Famo to pull.

Now we couldn't have that now could we?
LonCray1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 - 07:05 AM UTC
I agree - Tamiya has most of the molds in place to do a whole series of Famos - that first one had to be a pretty good seller and I've always wondered why they left the other versions to the aftermarket.
 _GOTOTOP