Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
RyeField: Easy Eight from Rye Field!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 10:41 PM UTC
I really don't care very much if anyone on this site throws the "Hide User" button "on" for my posts...
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 10:55 PM UTC
a BIG OOOPPPPSSSS on misnaming the manufacturer, Ryefield NOT Meng.
But like I said, if the price isn't too crazy......
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 11:28 PM UTC
I also don’t see the smoke launcher tube but am not sure if it’s under the mantlet cover.
Dan
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 12:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great news. This is an absolute must have for me. It has options for torsion bars on the engine grates, the first aid kit, and the interphone on the rear, so one can make a Koren war version. Actually that's the only correct version as it only has the post war travel lock as was posted earlier. No problem though, I've enough early travel locks in my stash!

John,
This kit looks to have the WWII style travel not post-war.
I’m sure it could be seen in Korea.
Dan
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really don't care very much if anyone on this site throws the "Hide User" button "on" for my posts...

WhY WoUlD aNyOnE dO sUcH a CrAzY tHiNg?
YoUr PoStS aRe FaR tOo EnTeRTaInInG aNd FiLleD
wItH vAluAbLe InFoRmAtIon

Robin
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

if the price isn't too crazy......

On pre-order at Hobbyeasy for EUR45: https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/njj6p5maruzchivmf0qz.html?t=1557323449
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

On pre-order at Hobbyeasy for EUR45: https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/njj6p5maruzchivmf0qz.html?t=1557323449

That's about $50 US which is about right. Give it six months or so and it'll probably be $40 - 45.

Yeah, maybe by then I'll be able to squirrel away that much.

Then I'll play with the suspension bars.

I paid $40 for my Academy Easy Eight back in the day. Just had to have it.

There are and were plenty of examples of E8s retaining "World War II " style travel locks to this very day.

I am doing three NJANG 50th Armored division tanks from the 1950s and they had a mix though they all have telephone boxes and dust cover mounts.
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 05:13 AM UTC
Wow, this release sure as generated a lot of interest/Flak...I'm thrilled that the builders of Allied armour have something to strut about as I diligently build through my stash.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I don't build that much stuff any more anyway, so...

Far to busy posting on web sites I guess.

I was going to say you managed to post without the inappropriate and totally pathetic use of capitals but I see you more than made up for your "caps fix" in your last entry.

If you think it serves any other purpose than to make your posts look ridiculous then your sadly mistaken.

As SNIDE and as uninformed as ever, Alan. Didn't you get any love you when you were a child..?

The use of "caps" in my posts are NOT "inappropriate". The use of "caps" is discretionary.

PS- It appears that I speak and write in better English than YOU do. Is THAT the way you were taught to murder your own "Mother Tongue"(?). I suggest you turn the "spell-check" on in your device as well, unless it doesn't have one, in which case there ARE apps available on line... :

Do enlighten me on my "murdering", spelling and why you think the use of caps is not as I, and others it seems, describe.

In case you didn't realise it Armorama has a built in spell checker, which shows red squiggly lines under the words you type in, which funnily enough tells me realise and Armorama are wrong but of course they are not.

As for snide remarks, I wonder what "Didn't you get any love you when you were a child..? " comes under?

Anyway, Happy Modelling to those looking forward to getting and building this release, looks good. Oh, all except Dennis of course, that'll be Happy Posting as you don't have much time for modelling these days
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 07:47 AM UTC
I’m not a big Allied armor guy, but this catches my eye. Would the star Sherman from “Fury” work with this build? I know it didn’t have the muzzle brake but had the thread protector. I need to study up, I could identify every different model of the Pz III, IV and V but am totally lost when it comes to Shermans. Strange for a young American combat vet, I know. Anyways, this looks awesome and I need to learn the chronological evolution of Shermans. Thanks!
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 08:50 AM UTC
Sprue shots at Imodeler. Torsion bars are for the engine deck hatches. Kit looks very well detailed with a number of options.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also don’t see the smoke launcher tube but am not sure if it’s under the mantlet cover.
Dan

I'm not a Sherman "expert", so if anyone wants to correct me, please do so:

Wasn't the Smoke Launcher Tube located towards the front of the Turret looking from above, in the left side of the Turret Roof, not very far from the Loader's Hatch..? Just asking...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I’m not a big Allied armor guy, but this catches my eye. Would the star Sherman from “Fury” work with this build? I know it didn’t have the muzzle brake but had the thread protector. I need to study up, I could identify every different model of the Pz III, IV and V but am totally lost when it comes to Shermans. Strange for a young American combat vet, I know. Anyways, this looks awesome and I need to learn the chronological evolution of Shermans. Thanks!

Hi, Nate!

Oh, it's not so strange; you just got bombarded with the Axis stuff, that's all...

There is a wealth of information about US Shermans of every type on-line and there are literally thousands of books out there as well. Some of them are even pretty entertaining. Personally, I like anecdotal histories, best.

Try Ebay, or your favorite Hobby Shop... The SQUADRON "Sherman in action" book is a good basic starting place. Then you can gradually work yourself into the various "Walk-Around" books. Once you wade through all the rest of the info and books that are Sherman-related and you want something that is really the "Bible" of Sherman books, I'll suggest the Hunnicutt book for you. But I warn you, it's highly technical, AND EXPENSIVE. The flip side is that the Hunnicutt book will tell you everything that ever wanted to know about US Shermans...

Good Luck & Have Fun!
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dan

Wasn't the Smoke Launcher Tube located towards the front of the Turret looking from above, in the left side of the Turret Roof, not very far from the Loader's Hatch..? Just asking...

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/pics/m4sherman.html

"Medium Tank M4A3 Sherman at the World War II Vehicle Museum and Learning Center.

This cutaway turret shows the location of the 2" smoke mortar as well as the loader's periscope. The coaxial machine gun is obvious, and the radio is visible in the rear of the turret. A submachine gun is stowed above the radio."

Their words, not mine ...
/ Robin
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Interesting... I'm VERY tempted, but I think I'll wait until the real reviews come out and the prices settle out before I buy...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dan

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/pics/m4sherman.html

"Medium Tank M4A3 Sherman at the World War II Vehicle Museum and Learning Center.

This cutaway turret shows the location of the 2" smoke mortar as well as the loader's periscope. The coaxial machine gun is obvious, and the radio is visible in the rear of the turret. A submachine gun is stowed above the radio."

Their words, not mine ...
/ Robin

Thanks, Robin!
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:52:50 (GMT).
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

WhY WoUlD aNyOnE dO sUcH a CrAzY tHiNg?
YoUr PoStS aRe FaR tOo EnTeRTaInInG aNd FiLleD
wItH vAluAbLe InFoRmAtIon

Robin

Wow, Robin! is THAT some kind of an "ENIGMA" Code..?

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dan

Correct, and should still be visible even with a cloth mantlet cover in place,..I think.

Thank You, Matt!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It does look like it will be a nice kit. As mentioned, perhaps an interior will come later, or a two type option like MiniArt.

One very nice detail is the open slot for the front hull vent. Looks like we can do an early version before the cover was added.

hi, Randy!

AGREE that it would be nice to have a Sherman kit with an interior, but as I said earlier, "it doesn't matter to me one way or another"... I'm just glad to see a couple of new Shermies coming down the pike. If I HAD to choose a specific M4-series Medium kit with an interior, it would have been one of the earlier types, i.e, an M4 75mm (Dry) or an M4A1 75mm (Dry)...
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:10 AM UTC
It should be there, either a hole or a weld bead from the post-war MWO to close them up.
Read about it here-
http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a376w/m4a3_76w.html
Dan
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:43 AM UTC
From the sprue shot it looks like they have a plug or cover molded in place for the smoke launcher.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dan

Correct, and should still be visible even with a cloth mantlet cover in place,..I think.

You should see it, or the plug, just above the edge of the dust cover on the front left slope. I believe that some later turrets never had the hole as part of the casting.

Dans link shows it very well.

I'm not really missing the interior, I just hope it will be an option in the future. The most important tank the Western Allies had, and no interior kit. The most common German tank, that served everywhere, and no interior, just baffles me a bit.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 08:56 PM UTC
The smoke mortar was ordered eliminated from production vehicles in January 1945. So it doesn't have to be there if it was never bored out.

I read the article trying to date the turrets in my current project and get a reasonably correct post war configuration.
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 19:53:28 (GMT).